Suddenly extreme latency

I do have a filter and a splitter but if one of those gives out the connection cuts completly. I've had that issue before and I simply didn't have any connection at all.

OK, it's probably not it, but worth a shot anyway: disconnect all the phones with microfilters, disconnect splitter, connect modem directly into the phone jack, so that it's the only device on a phone line. Any improvement?
I would check cabling between PC and modem as well.
I'd also look at the netstat /a /b /v (Win) or netstat -ap (Linux) - maybe something in the background actually uses your bandwidth. Large amount of open connections may lead to modem shitting itself because of high CPU load. DSL modems are whimsical devices sometimes. When I was in the ADSL support, I shit you not, I've seen models which dropped connection if you blew into their vent holes.

This part I didn't understand. Probably just jscript running on your side decided that if server isn't answering then it's your fault. Checking what actually happens when you open any site may help - so, wireshark or tcpdump.

Oh darn - the filter - totally forgot that; Its usually a crappy highpass filter that removes the speech (up to 24kHz) from the ADSL signal and a lowpass that removes all above 24khz from the speech output ... crappy as in elkos drying out, crappy smd coils ...

It is not necessarily that the service goes out completely - a severe degeneration is also possible, but if you ISP ever made a line measure they should have discovered that.

I did disconnect all the phones but I can't do much more since the filter in part of the cabling in my house and I have a dial up alarm that I can't disconnect easly. If I want to have only the modem connected to the line I'm going to have to do a lot of work, but it's doable.

As you said the server was not getting any answer and decided that I was offline, but my connection didn't drop. It's the sign of a shitty connection in my opinion.

They did. Today I asked to do it and looked with ping plotter at my connection and they did drop my connection for a minute so I guess they were testing it and said that everything it's good as it should be.

Don't bother. If removing phones from the line doesn't change anything, and ISP said the line is OK, and your attenuation and snr margin are good, and the session (pppoe, right?) doesn't drop dead every couple of minutes - then this part seems OK.
So, high latency/network lag is seen on every device, wired and wireless, on every browser and probably on every protocol, right? Does ISP have any internal sites (like its own site - is it in the ISP's network?), maybe modem driver/firmware repository? Are these resources as unresponsive as external ones?

1 Like

I have 9dB noise margin on the download, that's the only value that might give problems but my ISP says it's good so they won't help me out with that.

Never ever drops

Didin't test different protocols but even my best machine (Maximus VII Hero, 4790K and wired directly into the modem/router) has issues.

I can't access any internal ISP sites, also because I'm using my own modem/router instead of renting a crappy one they provide for the ADSL.

Your ISP does not have a customer portal where you can check your last bills or the data you used so far in a month? Stuff like that? - those sites are 99% of the time hosted by the ISP themselves and thus on their network.

1 Like

Same story even on sites of their sites. Connection now fluctuates instead of being a total mess all the time. It's slower than it used to be, got a bit better and now it's a roller coaster with peaks of lag. Today I was trying to open an amazon page and it took 20secs to finish loading the page and another 20s to load all the preview images of the product. I think I just have to wait and pray that the problem magically solves itself.

1 Like

Wait for their frizbox - as than - when you only connect one PC to that - it can only be their fault <3

1 Like

Why don't you just call the ISP and ask for a tech to come by and look it up, you can then demonstrate your issues. If the problem is not on your side it's on theirs and they are obligated to fix it. At least this is what I would do. I always asked my ISPs to test in front of me if everything works by using their modem and laptop the moment they came to install my internet service.

@Th3Z0ne Yeah, at that point I'm going to call them everyday until they fix my issue

This is a pretty good idea but, as Th3Z0ne said, I'm going to wait for their modem/router to show up. I've called them many times over the past week and didn't get anything out of it.

I switched to a fiber connection and all the issues magically disappeared. Also now I have 6 times the upload speed and a whopping 32 times the upload speed. The roller coaster is not over yet, but looks like I'm through most of it fortunately. Thanks again to everyone that partecipated and gave me useful hints and tools to troubleshoot an internet connection. Have a nice insert part of the day here!

1 Like

I am so jelly! I am stuck on a 5GHz directional connection U20/D6Mbit/s max

1 Like

Your area it's not covered by cable connection of any kind? Not even DSL?

4,6km in copper wire to the station -> max 6MBit/s down and on weekends through a 400 subscriber bundle cable its crosstalking like hell so either extremely degraded or the carrier does not get out of the noise ... that is why I moved to the directional 5Ghz which is actually 98% reliable over the past 3 years and - if they'd offer it actually 100MBit/s both directions (but 25D/8U is max they would offer)

1 Like

Wow, I'm 2Km away from the station and ADSL was a nightmare and I bet my ass that 4.6Km it's like more than double the nightmare lol
Where I live 5GHz directional connection it's not a thing. The only wireless internet option are a flat connection through 4G which has good upload and download but latency it's not great and satellite connection (that has issues as the weather gets worse, much like GPS). So DSL or fiber are still the best options to get a reliable internet connection here.

Fiber would be the very best sollution - but no ISP is having any serious plans on puting fiber into the ground; LTE is a awfull excuse to not put real lines into the ground.

the for my wireless ISP, the fun thing is that the base stations are mounted to transit electrical poles (the 380kV kind) and are hooked up to the powercompanies fiber runs that are also on this poles ^^ - its acutally the power companies IT dept that became an ISP too XD

1 Like

Same in Denmark. They already have the machinery and knows what it takes to put lines in the ground, and can do so when they open up the road for other lines.

Sadly no lines in the ground - they did not have that foresight when they replaced the free hanging lines with ground lines 25yeahrs ago - there is no empty tubing in the ground for that :frowning: and they wont dig up any soon I suppose as the power grid is good enough still.

Obviously not, but you might be lucky and they have the foresight when sewers, gas or district heating is being laid, or needs some refurbishment.

contemplating sabotage

1 Like