Suck in Linux

Have they changed it at all? I assumed it was finalized 20+ years ago, but I really have no idea.

1 Like

NTFS has added support for ssd, and has implemented a bunch of extra things. They then created refs, which is a bit of a wrapper to provide lvm/mdraid style features for ntfs.

3 Likes

I’m a simple man to please, but have some brick wall issues with Linux atm that probably won’t get solved this year.

• AntiCheat Software in Wine/Proton, loads of games I have need this, forces me back on windows10 sadly.
  • Gamma adjustment under Wayland in Plasma (using normal kwin or the likes, not sway, and not colour changers).

ATM those are pretty much my main issues, I think the later one will be solved one day, its been solved for Sway tiling compositor but I don’t do that. (I currently use xorg and xgamma, its great)

1 Like

50 to 100 years?
advertising agencies and their ilk have been a cancer for as long as media forms have been invented.
consider all the beauty products out their preying on the fear of aging to sell their $400.00 snake oil, or the little blue pills for men afraid they can’t get it up long enough.
look at how adds are targeted at children to bug their parents into buying expensive and cheaply constructed toys.

advertising on tv networks is ridiculous! between 15 to 30 commercials every commercial break And the ads are so ignorant you want to throw the tv out the door.
at least with some browsers you have the option to block all the performance killing, memory hogging ads on the web pages.

3 Likes

ntfs has been around since the inception of windows nt and that was just after win 95 so ntfs is about 25 years old!
it has been around for so long that many hackers have have exploited every weakness in it.
couple that with the fact that the average user has no clue how to harden their system and very little tolerance for the firewall restrictions of a well protected system.
ntfs at the time of its inception was a wonderful scheme being able to utilize much more hard disk real estate than the previous formats of fat 16 and fat 32
with the ever-expanding evolution of platter density and read/write head size
ntfs really shows its stuff, But the longer a format is around the higher the chances that someone will screw it up for everyone else.
windows and many other distros use a default format and that breeds in weakness.
If windows setup would allow you to chose the format schemes available in linux you could have one heck of a lot more secure system.

think about it!
to create a virus that would breach every format its code would be large enough to be detected easily without antivirus

no os is perfect for everyone, Linux works for me!, Windows works for you!, macs work for him.
you chose what works for you and you have to accept the limitations of it, or you change.
but that is your choice!

1 Like

@Gnuuser All that cheerleading is amusing to read, but we were actually talking about whether or not NTFS has changed over the last decade or so to work better with SSDs.

By “work better with SSDs” we mean features like auto-TRIM, over-provisioning, etc. — features that are not relevant to HDDs but improve the performance and/or endurance of SSDs specifically.

I know this is not Linux but *nix in general but. I keep checking if my pfSense install was updated and the dashboard always says up to date (currently at 2.4.4). I checked the Community Edition page of pfSense and it says the latest version is 2.5.1

Does the dashboard not work?
Does the “auto update” not work?
Am I supposed to manually update this and reflash using a USB drive?

1 Like

not cheerleading at all
ntfs has not changed or evolved but has always been capable of taking advantage of advanced architecture of developing drives.

quite frankly the ntfs format was ahead of its time in my opinion

to easily describe how ntfs format stores data you have to picture it.
without going into a lot of detail here is a general depction
take a piece of paper and draw a grid on it using wide highlighter markers
this visually described the allocation blocks of fat 16,
now take a black pen and trace the top and bottom line of each square.
this best pictures fat 32,
now take a red pen and trace the ends of each block.
you still have space between each block
red line space is utilized to store indexing data, extension information data, size data, etc.
top and bottom lines would be used to store tree (folder names) properties, and attributes.
this leaves the open block to store the actual data files
by using the ntfs format scheme you actually have more room to store actual file data.
Its nominally faster than fat16 and fat 32 but at that time the speed was not noticeable to a human but noticeable to performance bench-marking.
@regulareel you may have to manually search and install the update.

1 Like

How does that work in X11? Is it just passing along some metadata for the gamma value (1.0 vs 1.8 vs 2.2) between the windows’, the compositor’s, and the X server’s framebuffers?

Is the compositor or Xorg actually doing any data manipulation, or is this just to tell the program’s window how to output its pixels?

I have read some criticism of current designs for Wayland colour management, but to my understanding, X11 would require even hackier workarounds to get full colour management working akin to OSX.

Is there even a way to get wide-gamut/high-bit-depth colour working in X11? I would think such things are limited by the bitmap format/protocol that is used to transmit framebuffers from,
X-client (window) → X-client (compositor) → X-server

1 Like

Would need hacky method to do a basic gamma change? I have no idea why anyone would think that.

Sway with Wayland needs a hacky patch to get some gamma apps to work. Again I’m not interested in night time colour temp changes, I want to adjust gamma up or down, nothing more.

1 Like

That’s no longer true, there is wlroots library supports gamma change just fine, it has api.
See this program wlsunset: Day/night gamma adjustments for Wayland

I find that the GUI updater in pfSense gets borked every now and then. I just enable SSH and update from the console, it works every single time (having few devices makes updating manually a breeze). I am on 2.5.1. You should enable SSH and reboot your pfSense box (because the update may be stuck at some step). After the reboot, ssh and update via console. After it finishes, you should be prompted to reboot the system to apply the update.

If you like auto-updating, maybe enable a cron job or something and send the output to your mail (since the OS won’t auto-reboot when it needs to, thankfully). I prefer manual updates because you never know when manual intervention may be required.

1 Like

Well, X11 predates colour management things like ICC profiles, I am fairly confident; so the bitmaps that the X-server and X-client are sending back and forth are probably lacking colourspace information. Some KDE documentation even suggests that X11 might be assuming a default gamma of 1.0,

The X-Server default setting for gamma is 1.00 (Mac® 1.80, WinXX 2.20).

If this were actually true, and all sRGB (gamma ~2.2) colours needed to be converted to linear (1.0) gamma and back that would cause a lot of banding and other issues, unless either:

• X11 stores bitmaps in a sufficiently high bit-depth format such that a conversion to linear gamma has acceptable data losses
  • X-clients actually use the common sRGB gamma (~2.2), even though the X-server still thinks it is working in linear gamma, but as long as the X-server does not do any colour blending, sRGB data is output unscathed
  • X11 specifies linear gamma, but Xorg is breaking spec to operate in sRGB instead
  • Xorg defaults to linear gamma, but everyone has agreed to switch it to sRGB at runtime

If I remember correctly, even X11 compositors themselves are a weird hacky workaround where it grabs the bitmaps from the X-server, only to spit it back out as a giant fullscreen window drawn atop all the other windows.

Lockscreens in X11 are also a weird bundle of hacks under X11, where you again create a fullscreen window atop all the others, and security issues can ensue if that window can crash.

Therefore, my baseline assumption is that anything trying to implement gamma/colour management on X11 is going to be a hacky solution. Add to that, my experience with colord has likewise suggested a hacky implementation:

When I was experimenting with test profiles, I could see that only half the UI elements within a program were actually seeing any effect; this suggests that Xorg or the windowmanager/compositor is not actually doing any colour management at all but that each program is left to its own devices and can behave inconsistently, within itself.

Though… maybe gamma control is a simpler mechanism than colord and is actually built into X11 somehow?

Hence my question:

1 Like

I think there’s a distinction there between the point release and revision. The revision is up to date. You probably have to manually opt into the new release.

1 Like

Isn’t this still how Windows works (more or less)? That was always one of the actually irrefutable arguments for macOS for content creation/editing over the years (decades?). The OS deals with all of it. From what I understand, it made recent HDR integration much more seamless on Macs (no personal experience there though).

1 Like

TLDR

All I know is there is no option for Wayland Plasma atm; again not interested in temp changes to colour.

1 Like

I tried getting an answer of Brain of what linux he is running on what phone as he stated that he runs linux everywhere even his phone during one of his videos that are now no longer available on youtube. TL;DR. no response.

Does anyone have a real tangible suggestion on a linux phone?

yeah android is also linux but obviously I do not mean that.

1 Like

Best Linuxphone? Librem 5.
Best affordable Linuxphone? PinePhone.
Best Linuxphone distro? Sailfish OS, but you will need an Android donor phone.

1 Like

Isn’t that the one with the really questionable practices by the creators?

2 Likes

I have not found anything in particular regarding this, AFAIK Purism (the guys behind the Librem 5) is doing their best with their limited resources. But yeah, PinePhone or Sailfish OS are your best bets still. Those hardware killswitches though… <3

1 Like