Stylish Extension now collects and sells browsing habits

I was sorely disappointed to see this developer sell out. It was probably underfunded and a labor of love-- but ultimately my trust has been irrevocably broken.

Not to worry, there is a Firefox extension that is leaner, stripped down, and accomplishes the same goal. It even works seamlessly with Stylish themes. Just follow the simple instructions you're good to go.

Stylish blog post announcing the change.

3 Likes

source?

Do you mean this?
"SimilarWeb has a lot of experience with web products and offers much-needed resources, experience, and data including visibility into which are the most popular websites in each country, information that can help us decide which styles to create."

There's supposed to be an opt-out checkbox somewhere (can't find it)

mmm Stylrrr shilling has began. You guys are a little slow :)

Just realized userstyles can be installed as userscripts, I do am slow.

Removed stylish and installed them with greasemonkey.

I read the drama in forums. The real problem in this day and age. Programmers and designers have no morals and are always ready to sell you out to the highest bidder.

Not just programmers and designers.

1 Like

point. They have actually trained entire generations of people to not stand for anything.

I tried GreaseMonkey, unfortunately it didn't apply the stylesheets properly.

I'm not shilling for anything, just wanted to find a good CSS injector that actually works. I spent a few hours looking for a replacement extension-- this is the only thing that works consistently.

Yep, some styles get donkeybrained, lucky me I use only 2 and found an ok replacement for the broken one.

i use stylebot

Yes, that's a great extension-- but only is available on Chrome.

So I've read hundreds of reviews and comments about this situation. I cannot get a clear picture of what is going on. The dev is claiming that he had to request certain permissions because of requests from users, while others are claiming it's basically an Alex Jones broadcast IRL.

Can someone who knows something about this help me decipher the truth from the crap?

I think you've got the wrong thread!

Nope, definitely talking about the Stylish extension

Okay I though I had a hold f this story but now you have me confused again. WHAT!?

Perhaps it's this?: Click the icon-->Manage installed styles-->under 'Options' to the left, uncheck 'Send anonymous data to Stylish developers for determining user counts'

Edit: Yes, that is it. And it is anonymous data used at an aggregated level.

OPT OUT RIGHT
Even after providing your consent to this Privacy Policy, you are entitled to change your mind. If you do, you may opt out of the data collection and sharing process (by deselecting the checkbox next to the words 'by deselecting the checkbox next to the words 'Send anonymous data to Stylish developers' in the 'Manage Styles' section of the Stylish extension). After you opt out, we will no longer collect and share your data as described in this Privacy Policy. Note that once you opt out, part of the Services provided by Stylish will no longer be available, meaning 1) install count won't be save; and 2) Suggested Web Styles won't be available in the extension interface.

Source is their privacy policy where they also state that the only identifiable information they store is if you voluntarily give it to them, like send them an e-mail, become a registered user or is on their forum or comment on their blog on their website.

what a fucking mess...

On the contrary I think it's rather transparent and frankly it is alright by me. That is, if I trust them, which is a conditions that has not changed with this implementation. If I suspected them to be lying to their user base and collecting and selling personal information despite saying they did not, I would not have installed their extension in the first place.