Stupid question - can I plug in two uplinks to a single 48-port GbE switch?

these are all valid standard designs. the switch in the subnet networks can be dumb. the VLAN network the switch needs to support TRUNK.

subnet

VLAN

seperate

2 Likes

Thank you for this.

So…in my current setup where I have two separate, physical routers that goes to a switch that goes to the clients – I don’t have any plans to consolidate said two routers down to a single router, as shown in the diagrams.

The closest diagram that is shown, in terms of what I am planning on doing is the second diagram, where there will be TWO routers, that would link to the switch (which I am guessing by the name – it will likely be its own physical links rather than via a single trunk link for both), and then have subnet 1 = VLAN1, and subnet 2 = VLAN2 (also as shown in the second diagram).

That’s the closest that I can get, to the diagrams as shown.

That is the current plan.

image 1 could have 2 routers just as easily as 1 router.
my point here is you may be over complicating things, skip the vlans, plug all your stuff into 1 switch, keep your 2 routers. DONE.

ahhhh…so long as I have two different subnets – I don’t need the VLANs at all then?

That could work.

Thank you.

edit
More stupid question then:
How would the clients know which DHCP server (from the two routers) to pick up an IP address from?

Router A inherently runs DHCP server A, for subnet A.

Similarly, router B inherently runs DHCP server B, for subnet B.

If I plug everything all in one switch and skip the VLANs, how would a new client know to pick up an IP address from router B automatically?

for some reason i thought your VPN network was static, not sure why. so you would need a VLAN capable switch, but you still do not need TRUNK ports. see update.

yours

Oh…okay.

Perfect.

So that should mean that I should be able to plug both of my routers into my Netgear GSM7248 (e.g. two uplink ports) and then separate out the traffic with the VLANs for the two different subnets and that should work then.

Thank you.

I appreciate your feedback.

I will have to try it out when the wife and kids are home so that if I take down the internet as I am re-configuring this, they won’t be affected by it.

Thank you.

NOTE: do NOT try to use VLAN 1. really 0, 1, and sometimes 2 are all reserved. start at 10, so in your config i would use 10 and 20.

2 Likes

Thank you.

I appreciate that feedback and suggestion.