Stupid question before building: which cpu?

Today I am tossing together a rig generously sent to me by @GigaBusterEXE. He sent me an Asus P9x79 LE and a E5-1620, and since then I’ve figured out I have a 2690v2 I can use and I’ve populated the entire board with ram, giving me 28gb. In the event I find 2 more 4gb dimms that match, which shouldn’t be hard?, it’ll be 32gb like my rig before had, just with ecc.

However, I don,t really know much about new intel systems. I know about laptops, hacked workstations, oem stuff, not any of this, really. Hell I know how to get an fx chip to compete with this 1620, but like thats helpful…

Anyways. I am probably going to be doing a lot with this machine, but not all actively. I plan on eventually setting up passthrough if it’ll work and running linux with an osx and windows vm. But, for the moment, I’ll be running windows 10 if not a hacked up windows 11, dual booted with a linux of some sort. On either system, I will be running a few web services, such as an ftp server and a few vm’s (for consistency tbh) for truenas and maybe the BBS if I wanna start that again, as well as pihole, if not in a vm as an app, and a few game servers.

In the foreground I’ll be doing some video and photo work, gaming and streaming, some data work here and there when I have to get stuff off a drive or old machines, and probably music creation, which is something I’ve been wanting to do for a long ass time and xeen yearning to get back into recently. Oh and ubu touch work, duh.

What am I unsure about then?

Well, the 1620 is 4c8t and the 2690 is 10c20t. However, in desktop land I’ve only had performance amd hardware. Aside from laptops or the p2 I had when I didn’t know that burgers came fram cows.

I remember some weirdness on intel chips like if you disabled HT you could get better per-core performance, and that there were issues with turbo on the first 3 or 4 cores only, not the full chip becue it wasn’t using tulbo boost 3, which wasn’t out yet.

For what I’m doing does any of that really matter? I’m not doing shit lije a data center, so I can only assume that the 4x amount of cache on the bigger chip will buffer any lag I see as a user?

Right?

Or am I thinking of a different platform. It was mentioned to me that I want clockrate, not cores. Now seeing as I just had a 3900x I could rún at 4.25 locked all cores, this is a little jank.

Thanks for any info, idk which one to use.

Ps how get ecc ram run at 2133

1 Like

they made 1866ecc, I bought some that came from a mac
just change the mulitplier, and give the ram more juice, 1.65v is generally safe for ddr3
you can OC using either multiplier or gear straps which is a multiplier that’s between the bclk and the chips clock multiplier, because messing with the BCLK itself messes with sensitive stuff

both the gear strap and the core mulitplier are locked on non-26xx cpus but not 16xx

disabling HT will use slightly less power, generate less heat and slightly higher per single core perf

I had a friend get the 1620 to 4.5Ghz but I would daily it on 4.3

you can slightly OC the 26XX cpus by changing the BCLK to like 103, but I wouldn’t go higher than that

2 Likes

Goto tech powerful and find their jdec programmer software and then flash a jdec profile to that ram that runs at the speeds and timings and volts you desire.

This is assume that your chipset supports that speed.

That’s how you run your ram at the speed you want when the motherboard doesn’t support changing it manually.

The jdec standard defines timings speeds and voltages ram is supposed to ran at, that it saves in an eprom on the ram, you flash the eprom and the computer loads that new profile and runs that ram at those clocks volts and timings…

Good luck.i would do two sticks at a time…and only if the machine is stable…

I’ve done this myself and it works…

1 Like

Oh no bub this thing handles the ple-ddr4 stuff that ran at 3200 with those crazy double-up controllers n shit

Lulw what kinda term is that lulw

I had looked up abt the bclck thing. Didn’t know both parties had the same terms, and its making me have gas for a proper 3900x machine. Probs to save for soon.

Would you do this in or out of os?

I am going to end up testing both and seeing which chip is in my favor for my balanced load. In the event I need the bigger chip, do you want the other one back?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.