Streaming on Twich what do i need?

What do I need to stream games… I am thinking about buy this,

ASUS ROG Zephyrus M (GM501GS-XS74) 15.6” Ultra Slim Gaming Laptop, 144Hz IPS-Type G-SYNC Panel, GTX 1070 8GB, Intel Core i7-8750H (up to 3.9GHz), 256GB PCIe SSD + 1TB FireCuda, 16GB DDR4 2666MHz

Reason why I don’t want a Desktop gaming system. I don’t want to only game at home.
What else do I need to stream.

To stop streaming on twitch.

1 Like

Hmm… Well, for streaming you need games and OBS (open broadcaster). The software is free and it’s using multiple threads. Basically more threads - the better.
If you want mobile computer you may want to think about an ITX system… But then again that’s why laptops exist…

Qain disagrees.

With what?

The laptop.

1 Like

Like @psycho_666 said, look into building an ITX rig. Notebooks than can game&stream at reasonable settings will probably be more expensive than an ITX rig (and potentially be cheaper).
I threw an 1700x and RX 580 (could put one of those zotac mini 1080s in there), 16GB RAM and more or less the same storage. Silverstone has that nice case with a handle on top. Came out at about $1500. Would need a screen+keyboard+mouse though.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6RWMbX

That said and you really want a notebook, here is more or less the same system as the ITX as a notebook:

The difference between “okay” streams and “good” streams is the audio. That begs the question: Any existing equipment? Because I can assure you no laptop mic will win anything with the machine going full blast.
One idea to get started doing complete overkill would be something like this, might want to get a mic-arm with that.
Simply route: Samson Meteor or any other USB mic for that matter.

Software wise (it´s all free):
AMD has ReLive which can stream.
Nvidia has Shadowplay wich can stream (well, they want your email address).
Or you could just use OBS, like everyone else.

I agree the with you on the audio. But, I don’t agree on the laptop.

1 Like

Two LTT videos covering them (the one you mentioned and the one I linked)

The ROG GL702ZC I linked scores higher in computational loads (Cinema4D, Blender, probably encoding/rendering).

The ROG GL702ZC has a problem running HOT. 97C wow.

Slap a cooling pad under it?

Unless you use nvenc. It’s not the best quality, but it’s fine for casual streaming. Though I don’t know if that works in a laptop.

You really need a good set of knockers and a tight low cut shirt. if you can put them together, you are set.

8 Likes

From my experience (GFs hot ass Acer Laptop) those don’t help all that much, maybe 5°C if you’re lucky (ours had 2x 120mm that could be placed whereever on the pad).
Depends on the laptops chassis of course, but especially when there are not exhausts under it they are basically pointless.

Also…

An internet connection.

1 Like

Came here to post this too.

1 Like

Acer never figured out how to cool things. For my old Samsung notebook, it took 10°C off.

I used to stream from my laptop all the time.

Worked really well most of the time.

1 Like

Well. I feel that laptops are just sub par. If you were just to make a ITX water cooled overclocking portable PC. Where you would need a back pack to have a power supply. Literally the best idea you gave me when you said it during the tek syndicate days. Except for the water cooled part. Screw practicality. No limit’s

Was this before or after they started putting full sized 980s into Laptops?

The biggest issue you run into is monitors, and desktop real estate.

Building a portable ITX rig is awesome. and can be really powerful, especially with Ryzen, and the modern Desktop GPUs.

The reality, if you are just looking to have your machine, at home and at LAN Parties, or friend’s houses, then yes, A portable ITX system with a decent monitor is the way to go. The moment you want to take it to a local coffee shop or set it up anywhere else public, it becomes impractical. (unfortunately)

Though, if you are looking to stream from your local starbucks… you have other worries.

There is a use case for everything,

1 Like

I think it was 2013. But screw weight. I would make it as out their as possible. And as in your face as Duke Nukem Serious Sam mixed together. RGB and ambient accent lighting with a neon t virus reservoir.

Even stereo volume control knob’s with 1/4 inch jacks. And a 48v phantom power supply for a studio grade microphone.

Basically I would have it be my main rig that I can take where ever i want.