Strange issues with Ryzen and Power Schemes ... has anyone else ran into these?

I’m running a Ryzen 7 1700 on a ASRock X370 Taichi motherboard with 16G of G.SKILL Flare X Series Model F4-3200C14D-16GFX.

When I run the standard Windows balanced power scheme and try to play a D3D game, it will freeze randomly for 5-20 seconds … the computer itself isn’t frozen … if I’m watching a twitch stream or youtube video on my secondary screen it continues to play but my keyboard, mouse and game display will be frozen. Eventually the game will become responsive again. I googled the issue and found back in April there was talk about this and it was suggested to run the game in High Performance scheme and it does run fine in that mode. I also saw a thing that says the new chipset drivers install an AMD balanced scheme that “fixed” the freezing issue … but … it doesn’t for me.

I have found a workaround using EventGhost to set the power scheme to high performance when I launch a D3D game and switch back to balanced when the game is closed but it seems weird that the issue hasn’t been fixed or even talked about for months but still seems to exist … at least for me :frowning:

Another issue that I have discovered and I don’t know if its Windows 10, AMD Ryzen, or the ASRock Taichi motherboard but if I use the Power saver scheme and let the computer go into sleep mode … the next morning when I wake the PC, I no longer have a network card or sound card “installed” according to the tray when you hover over the items with big red "X"s on them … I have to reboot to get them back. Don’t think I will be using the power saver scheme anymore :smiley: lol … defeats the purpose of sleep if you have to restart your computer when you wake it up.

I was wondering if others were having these issues … maybe I need to “refresh” the Windows install now that my system has changed so much moving from the Sabertooth AMD 8350 setup to the Ryzen setup but I have done so much customization that I would hate to do that and have to set up everything again :frowning:

are you on the latest bios/uefi?

yeah 3.00

I’d first try to use a driver cleaning utility, then reinstall the most recent edition of the chipset drivers from AMD’s website, plus whatever you need from ASRock’s.

Thanks… I just tried this and it did seem to stop the game problem (played a few rounds of a game that usually would lock at least once per round and didn’t have any problems with it). I feel a bit foolish for not trying that already :smiley: … cant see it having anything to do with the sleep issue with the power saver scheme but … will try it out tonight. If I have my network card and sound card when I wake it up in the morning then weirdly enough it will have solved both my issues :smiley:

As I figured … it didn’t solve the issue with the Power Saver Scheme. Still kills my wired and wireless network adapters as well as my Sound Blaster Zx PCIe sound card. Tested it on laptop with an older Intel chip in it and it doesn’t seem to be a Windows issue. I think this is a bug with the Taichi board or with Ryzen. I don’t have another Ryzen machine on another motherboard to test to see if there is an issue on all boards … so determining whether it’s the ASRock board or Ryzen :frowning:

If anyone reads this and wants to help test this out … If you have a Ryzen chip and a motherboard that isn’t the ASRock Tiachi… if you can put your computer into the Power Saver scheme and then put your computer to sleep … wake it back up and see if your network adapters are gone.

If someone with a Tiachi board also would like to test this to see if maybe its something goofy in my Windows that is causing it.

A reboot will get the devices back :smiley:

New chipset drivers, no idea what changed though: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

Well … The sleep issue has to be with Windows or Ryzen or the motherboard… the new drivers are cleanly installed and having the same sleep issue.

I just use eventghost and set it up to switch me from power saver to balanced before it enters sleep. Now I don’t worry about it anymore. … at night I like to watch youtube or twitch and usually will set my pc to power saver and I sometimes forgot to set it back and would run into the issue when waking … but with the eventghost setup … even if I forget I’m still don’t run into the issue :smiley:

A work around but … it works … would still like to know if this is the Asrock board … Windows … or the new zen architecture that is causing the issue so I can relay the information to the proper people to have the bug fixed.

Or at least see if maybe I have to do a fresh start on my PC and its some weird issue with my “setup”. It would be a lot less work for someone else with Zen to set their power scheme to Power Saver and then put their computer to sleep … wake it back up and see if they have a network card/connection than it would be for me to ‘refresh’ my computer and have to set everything up again… just for a test. @wendell you have a ASRock Tiachi … could you test this issue please… pretty please :smiley: