Strange Issues after removing a sound card

I have a still modern build that I recently tried a Soundblaster AE-5 card in. I use an Asrock Killer Z370 and a Gigabyte 1070 .
Being not impressed with the sound difference over the Mobo based one, I decided to remove it and now have weird issues.
Before the sound card, when I would play games or when the GPU was taxed, the fans would ramp up normally and all would be well. Now without the sound card, when the GPU is taxed the fans stop and the liquid cooler for the CPU ramps up to full and never comes back down unless I do a full shut down of the computer and restart it. Also at just idle the Fan Stop feature on the GPU does not engage anymore.
My thoughts are that the resources for the GPU and the slot I used for the sound card are sharing a resource and when I took it out it did not revert back to normal?
Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to get this back to normal?

when you pulled the card did you clean out the drivers and clean up your registry?.
if not do so.

check: control panel/device manager,
go to view/show-hidden,
look in the list and uninstall any sound drivers for the old card.
then delete the device from the list.

next run a reg cleaner like ccleaner. (to clean the registry properly re run it till you see no more errors) typically thats 2-3 times if its not been ran before. ignore the other tools just use the reg cleaner then remove ccleaner itself. (it will keep trying to add itself to startup even if the option is disabled, so now its crap wear that has 1 good feature)

then go into bios and load your saved profile or if you dont have one, load the optimized defaults and change any settings you need to*. save and reboot.

*you want remove the old bios settings completely in case something is stuck on enabled but no longer attached.

gud luk

2 Likes

Unfortunately, that didnt work. I did all that you suggested and as soon as I load a game or a benchmark it still kicks the cooler fans into high and does not come down until I do a shut down and restart

when you pulled the card you didn’t pull any other wires?.
you didnt disconnect any power switches to get at it?. if so check there polarity.
just to make sure your on the right jumpers as some of them are for front audio.

are you running something like afterburner? have you saved the fan/overclock profile?
load it up set it to default then save the profile.
if you have EVGA precisionx installed, or was installed?.. run it again and set it to default, save the profile as the active one.

reboot.
if that fails.

download new gfx drivers and new motherboard drivers/chipset/audio/ from your motherboard manufacturers website.
then uninstall your gfx driver and motherboard drivers with a tool like DDU.
clean the registry after doing this just to check there are no leftovers (there shouldnt be)
re-install the fresh versions.
reboot and cross your fingers :slight_smile:

yeah i know… but this is troubleshooting… :confused:

I am just gonna say it. I am dumb.
Something was stuck in the fan on the GPU causing all of the grief.
Thank you for your help with getting me unstuck!

2 Likes

At some point in the future, fan self-tests will flag issues like this (hopefully). Until then, I will try to remember this happening :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.