Strange Displayport KVM Issues

I am using a ConnectPro UDP-14AP KVM to connect my desktop (2080TI) and my work laptop with integrated Intel graphics. There are numerous issues that I am currently having with it. The first major issue is that I was told that it would support 120Hz @ 4k on my desktop. It currently doesn’t support this. The maximum I have been able to do is 98Hz. Another issue that I am experiencing is the display will flicker at random points for no reason. This doesn’t happen every time and I haven’t been able to isolate the cause. Another issue is that my work laptop (using a USB C to Displayport adapter recommended by ConnectPro) will not always see the monitor. I will sometimes have to unplug and replug the adapter for it to work. When this happens, it believes the display is still there, but nothing will show on the display.

I was told by ConnectPro that the issue is caused by a synch issues with the 2080TI. I am not understanding how that could be the case. Has anyone else heard of this issue? Would trying to get a Level 1 KVM correct the problem? I know that this isn’t a simple case and I am willing to contract someone to assist me with resolving the problem.

Sounds like a bunch of display port cable issues, what cables are you using?

I purchased the cables directly from ConnectPro. So they should be approved by them. They said it has something to do with the EDID “spoofing” that is being done. All of the machines have to respond correctly or it will cause random issues.

Over my head, I have one of the DP1.4 L1T KVMs but I only run 1440p 165hz

If its a spoofing issues you can get repeaters to ensure it responds correctly (altho they arent 1.4 so you wouldnt get the goal so nvm)

What GPU do you have in the machine?

Radeon VII

Did the 20xx series have the DP update thing?

Nope was only 10xx

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Not sure what you mean

what happens when you remove the KVM and connect to the display directly?

if the issue persists are you using windows or linux(what distro)?
this is a shot in the dark but try an updated or older gpu driver.
also you can try a different display and see if you still have issues.

this can help isolate exactly where the issue is.

I didn’t have any issues when connecting it directly to the monitor. Prior to this KVM, I was using a KVM to switch the mouse and keyboard and the monitor to switch inputs. It just became a pain doing that so I purchased this. On a side note, what is one of the better gaming keyboards to use with a KVM? A lot of them have dual USB connections so they won’t work.

I can say that the Razer Blackwidow Elite works, but it is rainbow puke that can’t be controlled. The Corsair K95 has to be put into BIOS mode so it really is over priced. I got a Steel Series Apex Pro that I will be trying to see how it does.

steel series has some that store the settings internally so you can control them on windows then in linux they will work fine

The reason for the K95 needing to be put into BIOS mode is that the KVM requires a HID device so it can intercept and pass on the keystrokes. If it doesn’t detect it, you can’t use hotkeys.

I had a cooler master masterkeys S that worked well for this.

What specific features are you looking for in a keeb?

I am looking for pretty simple things. I would like a backlit keyboard with mechanical keys. I would prefer the Cherry MX Red, but I am open to others.

I tried the Steel Series and it does have onboard memory, but it kept locking up the KVM. I am not sure why it was doing it either. So far the one that has worked the best is the Blackwidow Elite, but it was ugly because of the rotating colors.

@wendell Is there any truth/validity in the statement that the 2080TI is causing issues with the KVM? I am more than willing to try and find a Lvl1 Version if it would stop all of these issues.

Making kvms is hard. I haven’t put an edid cloner in the kvms because of weird side effects. Not for lack of trying.

Afaik this one has the edid cloner but for me that made more problems than it solved in QA/qc.

I’ve had the most problems with apple devices personally.

1 Like

I am starting to see that is a big problem for them now. I am not sure if it is a cloner or how it is doing it. I know that it has something to do with link training. Because your KVM doesn’t have that, I won’t experience that problem, but I could experience the issue in which the windows constantly resize. If I didn’t have a work laptop that limited me on software that can be installed, I wouldn’t really worry about the situation as much.

I also am wondering if using a Displayport KVM is the best solution. I wonder if I should just go to a HDMI KVM and run 2 connections to my monitor. One that is a 60Hz 4k HDMI connection and then another that is a 4k 144hz connection. I just wonder how the GPU will handle that if i clone the displays.

It depends on the rest of your display topology. For me on my kvm pc I only have two 4k displays. I set windows in the registry to have a desktop resolution of 2*3840x2160 and then when the displays unplug it reverts to the default res which is that. Normally it’s 1024x768.

Programs like fences also manage this. It’s a pick your poison kinda thing for sure.

I’m working on a. 1.4 repeater. These combine an edid cloner with a repeater and splitter. This device is the only solution to this problem. The .12 repeater is aweeesoomeeeee but not appropriate for you

Where could I find information on setting that in the registry? Do you need anyone to do beta testing for it? I would love to help if needed. Is that repeater similar to what the Connect Pro KVM is doing?