Storage Spaces Issue, showing unformatted, recover data?

I have a large storage space, it’s made up of four 12-14Tb drives as a parity storage space. I was using it to shuffle some things around to migrate to a different setup. It was working great, then overnight windows crashed and dropped the storage space somehow. The discs were in an esata enclosure and I’m now suspecting that enclosure or something along the chain had an issue that caused the crash.

I’ve moved the drives to a different windows 10 pc and the storage space is showing up as healthy but unformatted. I’m not really interested in trying to replace the data on the drives and would much rather recover it. I’ve tried using ReclaiMe File Recovery which after several days has read through the Basic Data Partition that shows up. It finds many many files and I can attempt to save them. The files I’ve tried recovering so far end up not being valid (video files that won’t play)

Are there any suggestions on what direction might be good to try? The discs are all very new with maybe a few hundred hours of run time on them including the time scanning to recover data, I don’t think it’s a hardware issue with the discs.

I may have just learned how to use their ‘storage spaces recovery’ tool to build the volume xml file. I’ve tested a couple files and they actual read.

I may just have to wait another 100 hours to get everything scanned.

2 Likes

and we’re restoring. First files look fine.

1 Like

Just wanted to wish you luck. I’ve heard some serious horror stories with Storage Spaces.

Take a look at StableBit DrivePool for an alternative.

Thanks! It ended up being 167 hours to do a full scan. Copying it off won’t be nearly as long since they’re only half full. Fortunately all the drives are very new and healthy. I think in this case it was a hardware failure with a Mediasonic Probox. I’ve got two and I was getting some glitching with it before dropping a drive, I replaced all the drives in the box and then have now had a similar issue. It was good, it’s just finally giving up.

Storage spaces has been convenient in my single user environment other than the speed, except when there are issues. I’ve been able to change windows OS versions and add/replace drives with larger ones in a couple different environments.

I’ll take a look at drivepool. I’m assuming it’s something similar that lets me stay in windows?

My other plan has been to pickup some used server hardware and setup a proxmox / unraid box. I’ve been running proxmox on an old laptop and need something else to be able to add all the drives to it (other than the esata probox). I procrastinated and just put the big drives into a storage space, but since I’m clearing the big drives again it may be a sign to go for it.