Steamlink app on Manjaro ARM *NOOB*

Hello,
I am trying to run the Steam link app on Manjaro ARM. I understand that I can use Debtap to install .deb packages on arch systems however I don’t know how to get the .deb package from the rasbian based system on to my manjaro based system. I found this article https://zignar.net/2019/11/10/steamlink-on-archlinuxarm/ but got lost when he used qemu to run rasbian. ANY help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You need to get an ARM specific build for those .debs. Most .debs are either x86-64 or amd64 builds and will simply not work.

Yes there is an ARM based steamlink app for Rasbian I have it installed on an SD card and on another SD card I have Manjaro ARM KDE I just don’t know how get the .deb file I am fairly new to Linux i’ve been using it since December 2019. The article suggests that i can extract the .deb file? I don’t know where to look.

You can directly download the .deb from Valve according to that page.

2 Likes

Awesome Thank you!!!

Hey. So I thought I’d just put some info here, been working on the same problem. I did the debtap to pkgbuild and started modifying. After “installing” it will check for and find an update. Then while that script runs, you’ll get a bunch of complaints about dependencies. While yes we can comment it out. I ran a script I pulled from an issue to translate each of the cleaned up lines in the new file steamlinkdeps.txt

Here’s what it found

dbus expat fontconfig freetype2 glib2 glibc libbsd libevdev libffi libgcrypt libgpg-error libgudev libinput libjpeg6-turbo libpng libselinux libusb libutil-linux libwacom libx11 libxau libxcb libxdmcp libxext libxkbcommon libxkbcommon-x11 lz4 mtdev openssl pcre systemd-libs xz zlib

That’s all of them in file from version 1.60.143 except for this line
libraspberrypi0 | rbp-userland-osmc

So unfortunately without an aarch64 build, I think this is a dead end. Manjaro ARM doesn’t have a 32bit build. I’m going to see where I get with the method in that article. I have already noticed quite a few differences from their instructions:

1. It seems that steamlink needs a graphical environment on buster to get things set up. I didn’t find it easy to get the stretch version so I’m on this path now. If you do the same, don’t go with the lite image as you’ll need most of what is taken out.
  2. Run this command touch .local/share/SteamLink/.ignore_cpu if you get an error about needing a rpi3 or up when it starts the steamlink update.
  3. I immediately ran into an issue where I had to qemu-img resize raspbian-buster-lite.qcow2 +2G. I’m not sure what the right increase is but 2G seemed sufficient. It runs out of space following the posts instructions on the first run of steamlink where it tries to upgrade.

I’ll report back with if I have success. It’s unfortunate it’s turned out to be this complicated. I really didn’t want to dualboot or run debian based, but that probably would have been much easier.

UPDATE:
After all that I’m still getting /home/pi/.local/share/SteamLink/steamlink.sh: line 145: 6768 Illegal instruction shell -platform "$QPLATFORM" "$@" so now I’m going to ditch buster and try again. Fingers crossed. Here’s the location of the repo where the non buster images are https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/

UPDATE:
After a lot of trying a failing, I gave up on the qemu approach. I instead have added an nspawn container with raspbian in it to my manjaro arm install. I like this solution because the hardware can run armhf no problem. It was a bit of a pain, but it appears to be working. I’ll perhaps try the exodus method and see if I can’t produce a tarball that could be shared. It would honestly be much easier.

1 Like

yes, defintely it is ARM based steamlink APP, we got to follow a procedure for installing the app!