Steam Wine and XP

So I’m a bit out of the loop as I mostly avoid Windows related stuff. I have a few games on Steam that are Windows only and have occasionally played them via Wine. I hadn’t used it in at least several months and recently came across an issue with the Steam Store.

Apparently there is a bunch of mumbo jumbo about how Chrome doesn’t like being in a virtual machine or something and anything relying on the browser in Steam doesn’t like to work in Wine. I have run across a few fixes, something about “-no-cef-sandbox”. If anyone knows of any comprehensive guides for getting Steam running in Wine from the past few months I would be interested in seeing that. All the ones from January and older appear to have outdated info. I may or may not get this working on my own, but that isn’t what this is really about. (EDIT - Just got the Steam store working)

I saw that people are mentioning to run Steam in XP compatibility mode. Is anyone using Windows Steam in Wine flawlessly with Windows 7 mode or later? Since Steam is supposed to be dropping support for XP and Vista, is that going to break XP compatibility mode?

Yeah just use wine staging.

Check out lutris, it’s a seriously nice frontend for games on linux, which handles multiple versions of wine out of the box, does steam in wine, steam on linux, native linux games, and varous emulators. Maybe you can get your games running using that.

Been using it myself for about a month now, and I really like it.

I’m not really having any problems I can’t overcome. I just found a fix for games not downloading here:

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=45329#c4

Along with the fix for the browser, it seems to run alright. Previously installed games are working and I’ll find out soon if the new download will work or not. My question was just directly related to the Steam dropping XP support and how that would affect people. I have low end gear running low end games, so it isn’t a big deal for me.

That being said, I got the recent release of Sparky Linux Game Over Edition, and will play around with that this weekend. I’m pretty sure they have Lutris installed by default if it is like the previous editions. I haven’t actually messed with that distro for a few releases and wanted to expand my horizons of free software options out there by digging through it. That and the new Deepin release will keep me busy looking at new programs I haven’t messed with previously.

Is there a certain version of Wine Staging to use? Depends on the game? I tried downloading a newer version, it took two hours, and now the list is jacked up and shows nothing! I’m not going to do anything serious with installing games in Wine until I do a new build with a fresh OS in a month or so.

If you use lutris, the installation files for the games you want to run will install a certain version of wine. If a certain game doesn’t work for me, I just try the latest wine staging, which is 3.10 at this moment.

1 Like