Steam doesn't seem to able to load my video drivers

I am switching over to OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. Having a problem getting steam installed. Getting these errors when attempting to launch for the first time:

austin@RedRyzen:~> steam
Running Steam on opensuse 20170516 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)
libGL error: unable to load driver: radeonsi_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
libGL error: unable to load driver: radeonsi_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

Ah. I can help you with that.

What graphics card do you have and what drivers are you trying to run?

1 Like

RX 480, and the amd drivers in kernel 4.11

Ah this dreaded error, I'm afraid I won't be as much help to you here, this one still throws me through a loop occasionally. I'm interested in hearing @Tjj226_Angel's answer though, so we'll see what they come up with and go from there!

@tex and @WolfTech716

This has to deal with installing the 32 bit library. There are actually a couple ways around this problem. I know how to solve this for nvidia by memory, but I need to research how to do it for AMD.

@Tjj226_Angel Ah jeez, I thought they had finally fixed that (was able to use my 390 on Fedora on my home PC for awhile) without any issues whatsoever. Whatever guide/information you find out about it, we should probably end up pinning it somewhere in the forum.

Yeah.

I mean Nvidia is super easy. When you install the proprietary driver, it simply prompts you to install the 32 bit libraries.

I have never used AMD on linux, so I am probably wrong on this. But my working theory for the moment is that you need the mesa 32 bit libraries.

The other way to potentially fix this issue is to fix the steam directory directly. Here is a post about debian, but it should still apply.

"Had the same problem on Debian stretch. Try removing libxcb.so from steamapps/common/RunningWithRifles/lib/libxcb.so.1. You should already have the libxcb1:i386 package installed so it will use the system library which is newer."

1 Like

Thank you. I went and downloaded the 32bit mesa package from the opensuse website, and now it works. Currently installing updates for it.

1 Like