Steam Controller: Does it Suck? [Review] - 1 Month Challenge (Completed)

Enter the Steam Controller Valve's Monstrosity of a Controller for "The Living Room".

This controller is one weird anomaly I must say, coming from a former console players persepective who has been a PC gamer for about 3 and a half years now. and yes I must say,

THIS IS ONE WEIRD LAYOUT FOR A BLOODY CONTROLLER.

It has

• Two Touchpads - One to Replicate the D-pad on the left, and One to Replicate an analog stick on the right.

• X, A, Y, B button where the analog stick is normally at on other controllers.

• A Select and Start button

• L bumber and Left Trigger Button, Right Bumper and Right Trigger button,

2 Secondary Buttons on the back of the controller, similar to "MLG or pro gaming controllers".

Everything that comes in the box.

Steam Controller
2 AA Batteries.
Steam Dongle
MicroUSB to USB wire
Dongle Extender with a Micro USB port.

Now what separates the steam controller from every other controller on the market. is the controller is highly customizable. customizable in the sense that you can map out any button you wish.

And you can even load up community made layouts directly from steam if you wish to try out others preferred button mapping layouts. which is pretty nice. if you don't like a certain layout, I can send you the layout I use and you can install it with the click of a button. (X) button to be exact. and you can even control the haptic feedback on the controller. which both touchpads have. it almost feels like an actual button even though it's not. also you can control the desktop entirely from the controller which is a nice additon, and you can customize the button mapping as well if you don't like the standard button mapping to control the desktop.

Now once you install the dongle on Windows 10, and the batteries Steam will automatically notify you to install the latest firmware. it should take a minute. once that's done you're ready to go.

SECONDARY NOTE (AND I WILL UPDATE THIS THREAD)

On Linux, the Steam Controller works straight out the box if you are running any Kernel above 4.1. however I did do a few tests on Linux. everything worked perfectly till you actually load up a game. I've tried everything and in-game the steam controller just doesn't want to work. outside of steam it works perfectly. I will look into this and report back as to why it's not working.

Games I've tried with this controller

• MORTAL KOMBAT

• SKYRIM

• AXIOM VERGE (Indie Game)

• CALL OF DUTAY BLACK OPS II

• VAMPIRE: THE MASQUERADE BLOODLINES (PC EXCLUSIVE) - DIDN"T WORK AT ALL

DEUS EX: REVISION (GOTY WITH ALL MODS)

everything worked with the exception of Vampire the masquerade. something is keeping it from working. maybe cause of the mods but I'm not sure. I will also have to look into this.

I will explain some of the experiences..

1. Mortal Kombat - Absolutely terrible, the touchpad is absurd to replicate the actual feel of a REAL D-Pad. and the placement of the AXYB buttons on the controller is weird. I've played an entire arcade ladder. I've hit the touchpad on the right about 6 times by accident. If you wish to play fighting games don't use the steam controller. use an XBOX controller.. simple as that.

2. Skyrim was amazing. it felt weird. but it's easy to get used to. using the touchpad feels smooth and makes the gameplay a strange but a much more smooth experience.

3. Black Ops was reasonable, but retarded. then again you need to set up a proper button maping and haptic feedback setup to fully feel comfortable. though it works and it's nice. but what kills the experience is the right touchpad. it's somewhat tedious to get it so that it feels comfortable.

4. AXIOM Verge it's a platformer that plays homage to Metroid in all ways. and this was the best experience I've had with the controller overall period. it was just god damn amazing using this controller. everything was comfortable and nice.

5. Vampire the masquerade just didn't work, no matter what I did to it, I've even loaded custom button mappings on the Steam Community section. and nope. just didn't work. I need to look into this, cause this game is amazing, and it should be nice with a controller.

6. Deus Ex was more of a shock. mind you this is a PC exclusive just like Vampire. I set up a custom button map and tried another one on the steam community section. and it was just a surprise how well everything went. of course it takes a while getting used to the right touch pad. but it works and is actually pretty good.

FINAL THOUGHTS

This is one absurd / strange controller. Is it actually usable? yes. though for Shooters and Fighting games. just stay away. not worth it. but for everything else. it's surprisingly good. the only thing I hate about this controller is the touchpads I wish it only had one. give us a real D pad. and let the secondary touchpad on the right stay there. also to properly configure this controller Steam MUST be in Big Picture mode. which is expected but sort of sucks.

Overall Rating 6/10. Could be better. but it has potential.

REVISED Overall Rating 8/10: it has it's quirks though it's a controller that you have to try yourself to understand.

P.S

I will use the controller for one month exclusively. and I will continue to update this thread on my experiences.

REVISED THOUGHTS AFTER ONE MONTH.

I've had this controller for a month, and I need to retract some of my statements. though I'm still going to continue with a few points.

This controller is excellent for what it is. for some mild shooters (not really competitive) some RPGS, some RTS, Adventure games, some old school PC games. this controller is not that bad. I feel as if reviewers have been to harsh on the controller simply because of the touchpads. they aren't terrible. they just take time getting used to. the same way you or I may be excellent with an XBOX controller. imagine trying to pick up an N64 controller in this day in age when you haven't used it in so long. you'll see an example of the minor frustration. though my comment about it being terrible for fighting games. that will remain. I strongly feel this controller is NOT something to use for a fighting game period. I've really tried. I just can't use this controller for a fighting game. I think Valve has hit the nail in the innovation department, though it has it's quirks. and there is a definite learning curve, that will take a few days to get used to. overall this isn't a bad controller. I recommend it for everything except fighting games.

9 Likes

Thanks for the review man. Interested to see how you get on.

It has given my hands an un-neccessary workout. cause your fingers are doing alot of stretching with the touchpads.

1 Like

I knew that would be an issue... the grips need to be angled in more for the botton layout

#DAY 2.

I'm trying out Mirror's Edge. For some reason the game doesn't read the Steam Controller(?) I've noticed it with a few games even though I've configured the controller. hopefully it works.

noes, don't tell me that. I love Mirrors Edge and was thinking about getting a Steam Controller.

I don't know what the issue is but, I've seen a few videos and people have gotten the steam controller to work with Mirror's edge no problem. I think it's an issue on my end.

Idk how to get it working sadly on my end.

HOWEVER I tried Killing Floor 2 (which has native controller support) and it works surprisingly well.

Here's 2 minute video.

If you are having issues with a game recognizing the controller you can map the keyboard bindings to the button layout in desktop configuration, solved my issue when trying to use Dolphin Emu. I find my self using the controller in combination with a mouse by configuring the left side button since I'm right handed. After using the right track pad after a while ~1+ hour my thump starts to fatigue.

I have yet to find a game that has problem with it on Ubuntu or through Wine but definitely easier with Steam games. Are you still having issues with Steam Controller in Linux? You might need to enable the control in Steam permissions file.

It works in Linux just not when I load up a game. once I'm in the game menu's the controller just STOPS working period. when I go back to the desktop it works again.

Sometimes it requires me in enter "Big Picture" first than select the game. The Controller can't be configured unless your in there first, just press the Steam button then select your game.

I did. I know how to configure it. it just didn't want to work unless i was on the desktop.

Just finished trying out a few native games from Steam: Metro 2033, Borderland 2, and Kotor 2 with no issues. Not sure what cause the issue your having. How did you setup your controller on Linux? When I first got mine in early October it didn't work at all.

I had to edit the file /lib/udev/rules.d/99-steam-controller-perms.rules
and added the lines:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="28de", MODE="0666"
KERNEL=="uinput", MODE="0660", GROUP="YOURSteamUSERNAME", OPTIONS+="static_node=uinput"
found it in one of the ubuntu forums but this link works as well: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/steam-controller-on-ubuntu-a-tweak-you-need-to-do.6081

I'm using Manjaro. I didn't do anything in the command line or edit any config files. I plugged in the dongle. loaded up steam and it worked. but as soon as I loaded up a game it just didn't work unless I went back to the desktop or I was in Big Picture mode.

Seems like there's the same issue with Steam Controller on Arch. Almost the same fix as I did on ubuntu: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/46752. Not familiar with Arch or Manjaro but the libs should be similar at least for Steam files.

#DAY 3

I'm trying Hitman Absolution. it works very well. the movement with the right trackpad is somewhat slow. it's smooth but nothing a configuration edit can't fix.

One of the thing Valve seemed proud of was using the controller for games that normally suck. Do you have any strategy, city building or sims to try it with?

I have civilization but I suck at it. Beyond earth to be exact.

Man, I have invested dozens of hours digging in the Civ IV mechanics and I still cant get pass the Noble difficulty... Anyway It will be interesting how this controller feels with these genre of games. RTS, Grand Strategy, etc.

Be aware that there are stories going around that the update for this controller kills x360 support in some games. I play as heavy in tf2 and since the update, the controller has not worked