Steam Beta and Lutris - Wine?

I am running Steam Beta to use proton to play some games and it works great,

I have recently downloaded Lutris to play some games from my GOG catalogue. I know Lutris needs Wine to play games but my understanding was that Steam Beta using Proton 4.2 already came with a version of Wine?

So I do not want to download Wine standalone as a fear it may conflict with Steam Play.

Sorry, newish to Linux

No Problem.
Yes, Proton is based on wine. No, it’s not wine and wine is not seperatelly accessible from Proton. It’s an all in one Solution for Steam you can’t really directly access.
Wine Versions never confict. Wine conceptually creates something called a Prefix. This is a bit like a container used to run Windows Applications. You can have as many Prefixes as you wish with varying settings. Settings are Prefix specific. Since some Software might need a specific WIndows Version, or Binary preinstalled, you can create seperate Prefixes for those.

Steam automatically creates one Prefix per Game for you. None of those are what’s called your “Default Prefix”. That’s the one wine creates and uses if you don’t specify anything specific.

The same goes for Lutris. If you don’t do anything manually in Lutris, it creates a seperate Prefix per Game. Lutris even comes with a GUI Option to change around Wine and DXVK Versions.

On top of that, they specifically don’t install specific Wine Versions in the default location to not cause Problems with that.

So, Having Wine Standalone and Steam Proton next to each other is no Problem. Even having Wine, an Esync build and wine staging on the same system is no Problem really.