State of Wayland? (and open source graphics like Nouveau)

There are ways for owners to change things and that is though nVidia support. If there is a big interest in linux for nVidia users they will do it. They don’t want to loose current clients. However you should not go like -

Oh my voice is a voice in a desert. Why should I even try.

But more like -

I will sent email to you every month to remind you I am still waiting.

Also talk with communities on linux who have nVidia video cards and try to inspire them to do the same.

If by the time you decide to upgrade or buy a new graphics card they have not resolved the issue then vote with your wallet. Customers matter for every company and when someone looses customers because of specific feature they will implement it. Why do you think AMD are so invested in Linux and Opensource drivers. It’s mainly so they can get some customers.

I’m not looking at this from the perspective of a fanboy (rude, by the way) but from the perspective of someone coming from a common hardware configuration for Windows based PCs at the moment. They’re being screwed and from what you’re putting out, there’s nothing anyone can do cause they’re just going to remain as they were… unmoving and stuck for Valve time.

This.

Devs will have to keep X server support for as long as this issue drags on. You wonder why there’s still a “GNOME on Xorg” option? This is exactly why.

All I can tell people on this is “vote with your wallet”. It’s why I waited on Raven Ridge for laptops (One of the reasons, another is the impressive CPU performance at a low power package and a decent iGPU.

It’s a tough decision people are going to have to make between NVidia and AMD right now on Linux. NVidia has the power and efficiency of Pascal which is nuts right now but NVidia don’t really care about Linux software except maybe a few special cases where common folk won’t care or know.

Really? Wine is still not there but it is definitely FAR better than it was when I first tried it. I actually got some games to work and it was very playable.

My personal experience is it’s good on Debian based distros, but garbage on Fedora. Since Fedora has the one line “dnf @virtualization” line, Wine not playing nice on Fedora means I have to run Ubuntu to run Wine stuff and Fedora for my VMs.

1 Like

Wait I didn’t say there is nothing anyone can do. Actually nVidia will support linux more when more of its customers start using linux and complain for nVidia not working well with linux. As I said no one will invest in a place there are no money.

I can give you the same example for windows - windows has a set of rules how their drivers should work on windows machines and both AMD and nVidia comply with those rules. The same thing is with Wayland - they have a set of rules however nVidia says - nope your rules doesn’t fit us so either you bend the knee and change the rules or no support for your platform.

I am sorry but based of your answers I am 100% sure you are an nVidia fan and there is nothing wrong with that. I just meant that you should not defend them so ferociously. I was nVidia fan too but after seeing their disrespect towards linux users i voted with my wallet and my current video card is RX480. Please don’t take my comments offensively.

1 Like

Thank you for your apology. Yes, my main base has been Nvidia for the last while but when I look at the current market and for someone interested in diving towards Linux gaming as an alternative to Windows, they aren’t going to know first hand that an AMD card has a more willing and open graphics stack, while developments like Wayland that change the display server landscape dramatically can cause this much friction that it just means people are stuck in the middle of the tension.

Well… I wouldn’t really say that. I feel like Nvidia does care, but they want to do it their way.

Just wanted to make the v4.15-rc1 kernel and noticed that most of the modules seem to be disabled by default. Even basic ones like gpu drivers… Am I missing something?

Hm, granted, this might not deserve its own thread, but then “small linux problems” seems like the more appropiate destination.
I somehow messed up the permissions in my sources folder, sorry about the panic post …

Personally, I hate Wayland. I recommend you KDE Plasma. Also it works better with both nvidia and nouveau drivers.

Wait what ?
First - KDE Plasma actually uses Wayland. Yes on most distros its still Xorg but Plasma is actively working on replacing it.

And second this is your second reply to a topic that you promote KDE Plasma even though it is not really the point of the conversation.

( this is your other post Errors when installing NVIDIA drivers for kernel compiled from source, 4.15-rc1 for Fedora 26 )

So tell me why are you promoting KDE Plasma in topics that doesn’t really ask for DE suggestions ?

I use KDE on my Core 2 Duo laptop, but it is quite resource intensive. Cinnamon is what I stick to for now for my main systems.

I’ve found that the Fn keys increase/decrease brightness on my MSI GT73VR work perfectly on KDE with both nvidia and nouveau. On Wayland (the successor of Unity?) I’ve experienced lots of problems.

“The proprietary NVIDIA drivers are still not supported under Wayland, yet.”