State of HDR on Windows 10

So, I decided to give HDR another shot and see what the current state is. I own the monitor linked below which is HDR1000 specified, which shouldn’t be too shabby:

Anyway, I activated HDR (and set my colour profile to 10bit) and indeed, the HDR content I tested (Horizon: Zero Dawn) looked amazing :slight_smile:

Sadly, this cannot be said about SDR content which appears to be washed out and the colours are more faded.

I stumbled over this Dell knowledge base article that explains a similar problem:
https://www.dell.com/support/article/de-at/sln308136/colors-are-faded-and-washed-out-when-high-dynamic-range-is-enabled-in-windows-10?lang=en

This guide recommends to disable HDR in Windows 10 once you are done consuming the HDR content. But isn’t this just a matter of setting the display up correctly? Or is this not possible? If I toogle HDR like a maniac will this reduce the monitor’s lifespan? Have you also got these problems with SDR content in HDR mode?

So, nobody around here has any experience with HDR on Windows 10? (Or is also having the same issue?)

This matches my experience as well, there’s no way to really color calibrate SDR and HDR. It’s all very nascent.

1 Like

Dammit, I read a few guides and it seemed like ppl where only having issues with the general brightness. Furthermore, I hoped Windows 10’s October update would have improved HDR handling in some way, shapre or form.

I have a G-Sync HDR monitor which works great with HDR enabled in Windows. No problems. Reduced the refresh rate to 98 Hz to avoid weird 422 chroma compression at higher rates.

1 Like

@zlynx: what do you use to calibrate colors?

1 Like

I don’t calibrate it. This is my gaming computer. The monitor visuals look good and the colors mostly match the 4K TV I have mounted on the wall behind the computer.

The TV is not in HDR mode. The TV does support HDR but badly, it is an older LG LCD version that uses a LED background array and it’s really kind of bad. The LG OLEDs are just so much better.

1 Like

I have the same issue with normal content looking washed out when HDR is turned on. My understanding is that this is a problem with Windows, not the panel. I’m using a Predator X27 monitor.

1 Like

It might be. But mine looks fine.

Maybe Nvidia with G-Sync HDR did something different. This is a ROG Swift PG27UQ.

1 Like

I think I might see the problem now.

Most applications work fine for me. And that is because they don’t do anything special and backward compatibility works for them.

But some C# and Electron (hidden Chrome browser in an app bundle) apps decide to declare that they support HDR. The application framework does indeed support HDR and deep color but the application programmer never heard of it and ignores the event.

I found the Visual Studio Installer app which demonstrates the issue on my system. I had to take a camera photo because the screenshot makes it look normal. Must be the way it records the screen pixels.

Here is the camera photo. You can see the app window just in front of the joystick is dark and weird.

But here is what it thinks it should look like, from the screenshot:

1 Like

I have seen this a little but just restarting my driver with Ctrl+Windows key+Shift+B seems to help.

However mostly my issue is HDR has not turned on properly, which happens sometimes when I switch to another PC with my Level 1 KVM

1 Like

That’s the very fist time I’ve heard of this.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly :thinking:

Imho this shouldn’t be an issue. Unless you are referring to the 422 chroma compression thingy you also mentioned above…

Yeah, this just seems like my Windows in general, when HDR is turned on. But it does seem to work for you…

So, restarting should also solve this problem?

To summarise: Some people are having issues, while other’s are (almost) completely fine. Sadly, this doesn’t really narrow down the problem, nor do I have any idea where to look for a solution :frowning:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13060/asus-pg27uq-gsync-hdr-review/3

1 Like