Starting My 1 Year Linux Challenge!

I am doing a dual setup up, for now I am gaming in windows (laptop) and doing everything else in pop os. At least for now that is the plan. I am using synergy to connect windows to my pop os host. Once I get a second GPU I will be planning on doing a hardware vm with windows on one gpu and pop os on the other. For now I am getting my toes wet and will see if it works out like I am hoping.

In the mean time what would you suggest I do to get transcoding in pop os? Something to monitor my thermals as well?

2 Likes

Hey, good luck with it man!

I hear good stuffs about Pop, and if it’s based on 'buntu, should have good repo’s / ppa’s.

As you probably know, there are 5 ways to fix anything in Linux, 3 of them being obsolete, so I wish you strength with your google-fu

Oh, and hope you logged The Start in the 1 year linux challenge…

Handbrake works for me whenever I need transcoding video. You should be able to find that in the software browser simply. Or just use pure ffmpeg, through a terminal.

For thermals use lm_sensors. If you’re using GNOME as the DE, there are plugins that use it and integrate to the GNOME shell well. That’s mostly for CPU only. For GPU’s I’m not really aware of a nice cross-vendor solution, maybe someone will chime in with that. Usually it’s separate applications for different vendors.

1 Like

I don’t know about nvidia, but AMD cards are supported by lm_sensors, it reads out my temps and fan speeds just fine.