Star Wars - The Last Jedi - Dec 15, 2017 [Spoilers]

Maybe because Obi-Wan had less time to figure it out? The “be a ghost thing” was fairly new to him back then. Also, and that might shock you, the force isn’t real. They were lying to you all the time. :wink:

1 Like

I’ve not seen it in a while. Obi-Wan was there? can you link a clip? Did he say he is unable to do anything?

My assumptions would be that he didn’t know how, or chose not to interfere. That Yoda was able to manipulate the weather doesnt not fit in imo. The force is in and around everything, it would make some sense that it would be possible for him to do that.

He also didn’t burn the texts, they weren’t there.

2 Likes

He told Luke during the time he left his training. If you chose to face Vader. I cannot interfere. This is when Yoda said there was another Skywalker.

1 Like

Maybe Rey took them. I certainly hope so.

1 Like

One of the last scenes shows the books in a drawer on the falcon.

1 Like

I seen the same movie you did. I didn’t see them in the Falcon.

1 Like

OK. So that has nothing to do with not being able to, or Yoda. Yoda interfered because he chose to, it helped Luke. Obi-Wan didn’t i imagine because he throught it wouldn’t help, that Luke had to do it on his own.

There’s a nice bit about the books by Yoda. He tells Luke that the library contained nothing ray doesnt already have (words to that effect). She literally has the books, but it wasn’t something Luke needed to know to come back from where his mind was, he needed the tree and knowledge to burn.

2 Likes

Yeah, that means you missed it. Happens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There is quite a few things you might miss just by blinking at the wrong moment.

1 Like

Becoming a Jedi is a 3 day course :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If I missed it. It was because a theater dude was checking tickets. There was no one to tear off the theater copy of the stubs.

I fact checked what you seen and it was confirmed.

Look I know I am not accepting the story that is given to me partly because I am salty with Disney and Rian Johnson. I however dont apologize for my post regarding TLJ.

I have peeled away the Star Wars name and all I see is older characters with identity problems and poor writing.

If you enjoy it that is fine.

Like I said in a previous post. I am done with Star Wars after episode 9. Will I be missed in the Star Wars fandom? No of course not. But I am not foricing my self into something I dont agree with.

Like I told @Eden. This film has divided the Star Wars fans. I dont know if that was the intentions or not. But it did.

1 Like

That doesn’t mean that he’s important for the story of this trilogy.

1 Like

I enjoy this guys’ opinion.

He starts talking about the actual movie at 1:25 and before that talks about peoples’ reaction to it.

2 Likes

Exactly. In this movie, Snoke is just a trope character meant to make Kylo Ren appear more insanely dangerous and more irredeemable than possibly expected even after killing his own father - now he kills his evil mentor. That’s how evil he is! Is there no end to whom he may go on to kill? Is he totally unstoppable? Is he so totally irredeemable? Will he show a humane trait before dying? Will he even die, or is he dangerous enough to kill all the heroes for real?

Snoke is very important to these movies, but only in his role to sidekick and establish Kylo Ren. Interesting how they built up the antici… pation around Snoke by setting him up in the previous movie - similarly to how Palpatine got set up in ESB.

4 Likes

Of course it did, it was the first movie to even have a chance of doing that for almost 35 years. It surprised a lot of people, shattered many theories and demystified iconic characters. Of course that pisses people off, these were childhood heroes from basically fairytales. Not easy to let that go.

I know there is more criticisms out there but I really think that is a big part of why the movie gets slammed so hard right now. And I have heard from friends who disliked it (a lot, like you) the first time, they really enjoyed it on a second screening.

1 Like

There’s just no plot left though. The rebellion is dead and the first order omnipotent. Kylo could off himself in an emo fit and nothing would change. Rey couldn’t teach anyone else about the force since she still only feels it without understanding.

Maybe they will come up with another major faction out of nowhere or something similarly stupid. Return of the Gungans?

1 Like

Since so many here pointed to videos about this movie already, here is one that is pretty close to my view:

1 Like

I agree in the end the whole some of the rebal alliance is on the millennium falcon. And the falcon is not a tardis where its bigger on the inside. 3 transport ships land on the planet and one falcon leaves. Rebels are going to need to crowd source or there a handful of idiots that rise against the machine.

It not like princess leia is making baby rebels.

And on the side the whole movie there where like it seems 3 or 4 star destroyers that did nothing. I got to feel bad for star destroyers… trolling a snoke :frowning:

2 Likes

I think they could have done something much more badass for Leia’s first (and probably last) use of the force (other than her sensitivity of the force). Personally I would have liked to have seen her somehow deflect the shot that blows up the command bridge, that would have been awesome to see.

1 Like

They’re not dead, they’re hiring.

I’ll grant you that Young Luke got better training in a few days from Yoda than Rey did in a few days from Emo Luke. But the Jedi texts are still floating around, and maybe this is a sort of reset for the Jedi. I mean, if we count the Unholy Trilogy, the Jedi were pretty crappy. They sat in a seat of immense power, and still looked to fulfill some vague prophecy about someone who will bring balance to the force. Why do you think they were looking for that person? They were going to find that person and kill them. That’s the only thing that makes sense. Why would the Jedi of that time want balance brought to the force? They in power, yo!

So now Rey has a chance to set things right for the Jedi. No longer a cold, organization dedicated to remaining in power. But a force for good that will fight evil and suffering. She gets to leave those last remnants behind with Emo Luke and all of his Linkin Park CDs. She now gets to rediscover Jedi from the texts, and to some extent, she gets to define what it is to be a Jedi.

There need be no additional major faction. The rebellion is made from people who are tired of being trampled upon. My snarky remark at the top of this post? It’s actually not snarky. The rebellion is hiring.

3 Likes

Maybe they’re building up to a V for Vendetta style uprising… that could be interesting.

Seems like a lot of the dissatisfaction out there comes from people having specific expectations about what this movie should be and the story it should tell, and then it went in a different direction… doesn’t mean it’s a bad movie. I don’t think it was perfect, but overall I like where it went.

In the end, whatever story we wanted this movie to tell, we’re not the ones telling it. Johnson came up with the next act in the story and told it, and I doubt his primary consideration was ever going to be making sure he serviced all of the different expectations people had developed. Some of us were bound to be disappointed.

3 Likes