Star Wars: The Force Awakens Review/Chat (SPOILERS)

I have to defend killing Han, mentioning over the actor that plays Han mr. Ford, is very old ?74y? old? This guy can die next week by heart attack. The movies he's making now are his last. He did stated that, and i kinda believe it - he's too old already.

The scene made me feel that there's something going on (secretive), and Han agreed to be slayed by his son to help him.

The old is the new new.

You sure want that Kylo Ren to be good guy. :D

A good point from a realistic perspective, but still. It was a cheap move.

I will totally concede that I may just be bitter over Han Solo's (Probably one of my favorite characters) death, but this movie had some serious problems. When the hype dies down and more scrutiny is placed upon the movie you better believe a lot of folks out there will be in agreement with some if not most of what I just wrote.

I really wish I was screaming with all the rest of the fans in the movie, but I wasn't.

i know, but i wasn't hyped. I would be very disappointed if i went on hype train.

@Nurmi Kylo isn't a sith... he's hiding something. + it was stated few times there's still good in him, Leia feels conflict in him. (vader wasn't real sith either, they didn't fall completely to dark side - but then again Sith doesn't have to necessarily evil.)

KAsdan's last star wars will be the Han Solo standalone flick. So yeah, no 8,9/rogue one, etc.

Like stopping the laser blast? ;)

I don't even think that is possible anymore. Luke was faced with the same challenge, killing his father. He didn't... and chose the light. Ben/Kylo was conflicted... but then gave in to the darkness. I think that fully gave him over to the dark side.

Just saw it again. I spotted R2-KT THREE times! =D
man... this movie is fun! we gotta wait till May 2017 for Episode 8. So only 1.5 years :P

Fart2 & Creepio.

1 Like

I liked that they ripped off the eu stuff the way they did. Star killer base was totally the star forge, and it kinda fell in line with some of the comics where they resurrected the death star and palpatine like twenty times. Kylo ren's mask looked a little like revan's, and luke went on a weird pilgrimage to the unknown regions like revan. And part of me was hoping we'd see thrawn and palpatine again. It was a due homage to the things disney chucked out the window, and I hate to give credit to jj abrams, or assume he did anything for a higher purpose, but he took those things that would be lost to the realm of fan fiction, and gave them a permanent place in the new star wars universe. He also did this with some sense of subtlety in my opinion. They're things you'd only really notice by reading into it too deeply.

People can't give JJ credit, or grief, for the story. It wasn't a 'prequel' thing where 1 man had control over everything. This was a collaberation, most notably between JJ, Kasdan, And Kennedy. for the first 5 seconds, i was like "They used 'Ben'?" but It has now grown on me. Ben Solo now, Not Ben Skywalker.

I thought JJ was a little too easy on the convieniences for his plot devices. Pretty much everyone is a tool to move the story along, instead of just a character in a world. Poe arrives only when he's needed with fighters. Fin somehow didn't realize what he was joining or doing when he wanted to help the first order. Somehow he just snapped out of it and was able to escape.

Rey was a deus ex machina. She literally found the force and knew how to utilize it without any training. Just as Fin realized he hates his life.

Kylo Ren was totally emo. He kept acting like an insolent child when he didn't get his way, and overall... his strength was overestimated, because a storm trooper with a light saber can stand a chance.

The best part of the movie was the Kylo Ren / Han solo scene.

I was disappointed with snoke or snope. He seemed like a stereotypical lord of the sith.

2 Likes

Poe's mission was the droid. Don't you remember the part in Maz's bar when that droid messages something like "Alert the Resistance. I have located the droid". Well... of course Poe would show up.... that droid was what they were after.

I don't see Kylo Ren as 'Emo'. He is conflicted. and yup... he sure does have a temper. He isn't one-dimensional. He isn't evil for the sake of being evil. HE has ties to the dark side, and is being seduced by Snoke.

You may have missed Finn's back story. He didn't CHOOSE to be apart of the First Order. They took him from his family as a small child, gave him the name 'FN-2187', and conditioned/made him become apart of the First Order. Also, he was in sanitation, that opening scene was his first battle. I mean... they say all this in the flick :P

1 Like

i always they figured they treated the droids like smart children, smart enough to know things and make some decisions but not to be left to their own devices.

1 Like

Honestly being a huge fan of Star Wars myself I initially felt rather comfortable with a few of these homages to the eu and originals, but eventually it seemed pandering and almost forced.

I liked the mask. They can call him Ben. That doesn't really take away from the story. A bigger better Death Star built by a smaller force than the Empire, The First Order, does. It really insults our collective intelligence. But I know people will lap this stuff up, and ask for seconds.

If you like it that's fine, but a lot of people are not going to be happy about it.

2 Likes

Well I wanted to see Poe outside the scope of what the movie showed. He felt like a character that showed up to help when needed. Kylo to me felt like annakin, just more angry than frustrated and the fact that he lost the war wiThout winning one battle sort of undermines his integrity as a powerful sith. The best scene was with him and his father. I thought fin was a bit old to suddenly have a 180 change of heart. He is like a complete pariah to the empire / first order, and he looks like he's in his 20's. All of it can be explained, but convenience is really the only reason. To keep this movie under 3 hrs

Don't get me wrong. I love this movie, but these are the flaws I see in it. It needed to be longer. It was just a bit too aggressive and a bit too condensed, like it felt like they were aiming for 2h 20m, and they had way more story to tell.

Ok let me move on to the things I really liked about the movie.

The visuals were of course stunning. I loved how they made the lightsabers more of like charged particle beams. It really made them come to life.

Costumes were spot on. I loved it when 3PO literally popped in to say hi. As promised they seemed to be using more animatronics and hollywood effects that never really needed to be replaced. That being said the CGI was tastefully executed for the most part.

The first few scenes with the Star Destroyer eclipsing Jakku (the planet that's not Tatooine- sorry), and then Kylo Ren stopping the blaster shot were just good in general and interesting.

Despite what has been said about Star Killer Base, the scene where it destroys multiple planets was visually captivating.

The force vision scene gave me chills. I was in it at that point. Not much else to say. Same for the last scene with Luke Skywalker.

1 Like

@freemynd Oh yeah, it has flaws. that is why i personally give it a 9/10. However.. that is one of the BIGGEST complaints about the movie that i have heard online, and from the people i saw it with... it was too short. Being 2:16..... and having people complain it was too short.... I just don't think that has ever happened in history XD

Technically, it is just Kylo Ren's that looks like that. it is unstable, much like it's creator. Also, just for those that don't know, the 'crossguard' section of his saber are actually vents. wasn't just a crossguard for the sake of crossguard.

I have seen it twice now... and i still don't know if Rey destroyed his saber.... if so, i would love to see him constructing a new one under the guide of Supreme Leader Snoke.

it seems that i am one of the few who did not like the new star wars.............
Too many small issues combined to piss me off/too much disney BS. Same plot as the original star wars with the same characters just with new gfx/actors/younger ppl etc. Lacked the depth that the others had (to characters/story) i was left underwhelmed, like i had just watched a redone version of the originals with crap characters.

It made several mistakes but the one that pissed me off the most (consistently) was the loss of seperate "universes". By this i mean, instead of maintaining Star wars seperation from our own, it brought in stereotypes from our universe and applied them to the star wars one.... think of the asian and irish gang that was after Han as one eg. that annoyed me, and was one of the best thing about star wars; to encapsulate our worlds problems through a completly different universe with issues that are the same but completly different at the same time....

All Rey (Daisy Ridley) did the entire movie, was run through explosions/away from things, look like she was about to cry, reminisce about her abandonment issues, and/or "overcome her issues in a lame manner". Like her characters potential but it was a 2d character with too many boring stereotypes

Finn (John Boyega) had good potential too, but was just a weaker, one line version of Han instead of being his own character... he was too tame, and i think that was a conscious choice (which is unfortunate) he could of been more provacative and independant.... but eh

I didn't mind the movie, but I don't rate it as good as everyone seems to see it as.

1 Like

Pun intended? :P

Hah no it wasn't but I like it.

I liked it overall, but take a bit of issue with people saying it was the same plot.

Yes. It was the same plot. It is supposed to be. It watches just like the young adult novels i used to read.

Well, I saw it in real IMAX (there's a whole thread about that), and overall I loved it.

SPOLERS!!! SPOLIERS!!!

Are you sure?! Have you really seen it yet? Click the next one if so.

What bugged me the most was how cliché and predictable some parts were. The plot was good, but some things were exaggerated and just thrust forward in some ways. Like when Han stepped onto the bridge (as mentioned above), you knew that he was a dead man. And when Rey spontaneously "develops the Force." And when Han and Chuy capture the Millennium Falcon. And in all of the places where Rey suddenly shows tons of affection for Fin. And when Poe actually survives. And when R2 has the rest of the map.

Also, it seems that the First Order is recruiting Storm Troopers differently. I thought that they were clones. Fin siad that he was taken from a family that he would never see. Maybe Disney didn't want the problems associated with that (all one race, bred to perfection, brainwashed, effectively slaves). Fin definitely didn't look like this:![A group of combat-ready clone troopers.](http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/0/05/Clonestraining.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080117183211)
([source](http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_trooper))

That said (I haven't read the books or anything else), I still really loved it. They mixed the old and new really well. That John Williams music in the IMAX theater was also fantastic.

2 Likes

LOL! nice touch in hiding the spoilers, but I purposefully put that in the title. no one that has not seen the movie should click this thread ;)

I agree about Han. I knew he was going to die when he walked out on the ledge. Although, that alone was heartbreaking. However, they explained finding the falcon, in a way. It wasn't in use, so it couldn't be tracked. The moment they left Jakku, it Han was able to track it, as im sure he knows how to find his ship.

After the clone wars, they stop using clones. As you see in Rebels, they started recruiting young kids. They DO mention using clones at one point, but yeah, they aren't clones.

Going to buy my tickets for my 3 viewing on Christmas tomorrow XD