Star Wars: Rogue One: Who's Going?!

Some more big Star Wars news. I'm just going to group it here, instead of making a new thread.

New Thrawn book by Zhan.

Also..... look who will be in Rebels season 3 ;)

You may notice a YT-2400, it is not the Outrider, but the same model. The woman who created the outrider for Lucasarts now works on Rebels.

3 Likes

I feel like this should just be renamed general star wars discussion.

Also oh shit wedge is in Rebels and Thrawn is canon.

1 Like

lol, well, i didn't want to dilute the forum. IT will still primarily be Rogue One, just, so much Star Wars news came out. Be on the lookout for my Official Star Wars VIII thread in December ;) (or whenever the teaser drops).

Sadly, the Rogue One trailer was shown only to those who attended the panel. The Celebration Reel is really great, but once the trailer drops, ill post it. IF i had to guess, maybe they are saving it for SDCC.

Kind of the opposite of last year, where they did the trailer at Celebration and the behind the scenes reel at SDCC. Also, last year at SDCC, they gave everyone a lightsaber, and lead them to a live free star wars concert, and all the cast were there with lightsabers as well. was quite amazing. Wonder what they will do this year.

I totally understand. But actually, since the title is editable (by you, OP? I don't know how that works) over and over, I'd like to just see something like Headline -- Star Wars Discussion (Date of News), so for now it stays Rogue One, and you just switch it to whatever new happens. And we can keep the post history from previous stuff all in one place.

On topic though, I doubt they will do much new stuff at SDCC. I think Disney is going to push hard towards just dropping comic con altogether, since they have so much freaking content under one roof.

yeah. I think i might mess with the Thread title a bit. But i still want to keep it movies and tv only, not the games. there is already a thread for that.

Could be.... i just want the darn trailer already lol. A lot of people were upset that they didn't reveal VIII's title, but it is way too early for that. I do hope we get a teaser in December, though. I'm sure we'll get a title by then.

I don't know if i posted it here, but I have elsewhere...

They'd be stupid to throw out all the characters, ships, creatures, technology, planets/locations, organizations, etc. along with what happens. They threw out the lore and are going to reintroduce all the other elements as it benefits them. The only thing definitely not canon anymore is the lore.

But the lore will always be canon to me, I don't care what the Mouse says.

Yeah it sure is funny listening to how more and more elements of the original canon keep crawling their way back as 'official'. If 'Thrawn' is canon, then that would mean that all elements of outbound flight, the thrawn trilogy and duology should be canon as well (slippery slope here, Disney! :D) Or are they only including Thrawn the character and his backstory into 'canon'. I just find all these needless semantics pretty funny.

1 Like

Finally... the Rogue One trailer will drop this Thursday (August 11th) during the Olympics. So no doubt it will be up online like a minute after.

Warning! cameo Spoiler!

Jimmy Smits will be making a short cameo appearance as Bail Organa. Fans already discovered this in the celebration video, but he officially acknowledged it. http://www.flickeringmyth.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/media-600x275.jpg

2 Likes

It's HERE! and it is EPIC! K-2SO..... i like him. It is either the early morning lighting or something... but i really like that scene with the hovering TIE fighter.

What do you guys think? also, think the music will be up to par? First Film not to be scored by Williams (he will remain the composer for the main trilogy).

Ugh, Star Destroyers don't have atmospheric capabilities. Only Victory Star Destroyers do. (They've screwed this up before though. No one seems to care about this oversight in any of the occurrences of ISDs in atmosphere.) I was hoping for that star destroyer to be a Vic...no such luck. Also was hoping that ship departing Yavin IV at 0:37 was a Z-95...disappointed yet again.

The trailer looks good. I like me a dark Star Wars...but I've been misled before. I will be in no rush to see this movie. I'm still annoyed by the Katniss Everdeen heroine clones Disney is pushing with the Contracted Universe.

Why do I get the feeling K-2SO is going to have a strong HK influence?

I have faith in a new generation of composers following in the footsteps of John Williams and adding their own personal touch to the Star Wars score, yet staying true to the core feeling. I've heard it done marvelously before with many of the games. (Why they reused Williams' score in so many, I don't know. Always wanted to see what others could do). Excellent music that captures the epic adventure of Star Wars is the one thing I have total confidence in. Those guys know they tread on hallowed ground. It seems story is the most difficult thing to maintain that authentic Star Wars feel.

1 Like

I think it looks incredible. @HK-47 is right, it doesn't feel like a big trilogy part. But that is the whole point. It is a different genre of movie in the same universe. Like a star wars espionage movie. And I really dig the idea.

We will have to wait for the movie. But I think the fact that the trailers now get their own music is amazing. The force awakens trailer is still my favorite trailer of all time mainly because of the music. And this trailer is not far behind.

Actually, my comment on maintaining a story that has that authentic Star Wars feel was a subtle jab at the Sequel Trilogy. Dark Forces had an espionage-themed story. You played a mercenary that ran covert ops for the Rebellion to uncover the mystery of a secret Imperial project.

Sudden Realization: ...Wait a minute!

I know Dark Forces. ;) One of the best SW games ever made. And yes, this is exactly that.

What made it the best?

Well, you could run around in a Duke Nukem 3D style game set in the star wars universe and shoot storm troopers in the face. :D And it didn't just rely on the license, it was a very solid game for the time.

I wouldn't say the best though.

I will be seeing this day ONE! lol.. well.. actually.. the day before day one. i plan on getting tickets the the pre-release day like TFA.

Don't think a Z-95 would work.... That is a U-Wing, and if my assumptions are correct, Jyn and Cassian are heading off to recruit some new rebels for their mission. If that is the case, a Z-95 would not work. I believe they only have room for a single pilot. No room for them both, nor the subsequent recruits, and i am sure K-2SO goes with Cassian, as he really only listens to him (Cassian reprogrammed him).

Kek.

@Weston On topic though, I like. One of the few things I thought was good about the prequels was the amount of bustling city kind of shots on Coruscant and Naboo. This looks to be a similarly lived-in movie, and I'm very happy about that. Time will tell if the story is good enough. Seems like it's a little confused, half war film and half heist thriller.

Music, I have faith in other people's ability to copy John Williams. His music is excellent, but it's nothing new. As easy to copy as the Holst and many others that he was influenced by.

1 Like

And it made (or popularized) many additions to the FPS genre, such as jumping, crouching, a Z axis (height), secondary fire weapons, devices such as headlight, night vision, and gas masks; intelligent enemies, mission objectives, an engaging story, etc.

In fact, the reason it was made was cause LucasArts found out about the Star Wars Doom mods that were out there. There was a market for it and they were smart enough to realize it...and this is when Star Wars games were made with care.

It is certainly up there among the best.

Correct, the Z-95 is a snubfighter. Meh, I'm unimpressed. Did they really have to use a -wing ship for a transport?

There was an article long ago that said it was supposed to be a heist movie, but this sure as hell don't look like a heist to me.