Star Wars: Rogue One: Who's Going?!

IMAX 3D for my second viewing. I hadn't seen 3D in like a year.. i think im begining to dislike it a lot.... Took my about 5-10 to get adjusted, which is normal. and some scenes were epic and crystal clear. I just don't like when a scene has multiple focus changes... messes with me lol. But it was damn crisp (Thanks to the 65mm Arri 6.5K sensor)

Yeah, my heart was pumping during the last scenes.... crazy XD

1 Like

3D is just not worth it IMO. There are typically only a couple of scenes that merit 3D. It was only $1.50 more and the show was 10 minutes apart so I didn't have to wait.

3D is just a scam to make the studios more money, since home theater systems are quite affordable now. It's the same irrational fear they had when television became popular. Theaters aren't going anywhere anytime soon as long as it's prohibitively expensive to replicate the entire movie theater experience in the home.

1 Like

I don't care much for theatre, personally. I only watch Star Wars since the fanboy in me can't wait till April/May to watch it at home. But yes I agree with you, its a cash cow...

I made a vow to only see movies in 3D if they were filmed in 3D, and warrant it. (Avatar, Hobbit, Tron), however, Star Wars is Star Wars... so i made an exception. and actually, the best use of 3D was a movie that i later learned wasn't filmed in 3D.... Gravity. looked so awesome (i am thinking because there was always a single focal point, the astronauts). They popped out in the black.

However, it came down to logistics. i went with a group of about 30, and our IMAX offers reserved seating. It was a necesity. and our IMAX only has 3D screenings of Rogue One.

@HK-47 I actually really enjoyed Gravity, Tron, and Avatar in 3D. but 99.999% of the time.... i don't want it.

@Miguel_Sensacion I am the exact opposite.. i love the theater experience lol.

1 Like

It's not a crime drama, and it's not written as such. They didn't do anything clever to get the plans, they just ran around and shot stormtroopers and then they climbed on a thing. There are not any good characters in this film. They are all boring as hell, and the only interesting characters are from A New Hope. I don't care about the new monotone plug-in characters. That's why the prequels sucked, the characters were boring. The Obi-Wan vs. Anakin battle was boring because it dragged on so long; I would say Rogue 1 is more boring than that: this is pointless/boring characters doing nothing of consequence for 2 hours then they all die.

was looking back at your post where you hoped Vader cuts a guy in half ;)

I wasn't implying the movie is a crime drama, but the analogy still stands: If you know what happened already, you're there to find out how it happened. It's actually harder to get that right, because you are constrained by the conclusion. You can't really modify it to suit the story.

Or maybe they are just counting on the IP to make them money and not too concerned with writing a good story.

So, the problem here, is that they did in fact write a good story, that is pretty much entirely internally consistent with what's already in the movies. You're right, the important part in this movie wasn't the what, it was the how. In the crawl, it says that "The rebel alliance has just won its first victory against the empire. During the battle, rebel spies managed to steal the plans to the weapon..." Rogue One is completely consistent with this. The rebels attacked from their base, they had a battle with an empire flotilla, and a small group of the rebels went under cover to take the plans during the battle. However, the good part of the story isn't the fact that they took the plans, it's about the creation of the team. Just like any variant of Seven Samurai is.

Have you seen it yet? It doesn't seem right to lackadaisically throw the story in the garbage without seeing if it's good or not, just because of some hatred of the Mouse.

I haven't seen the yet movie but it feels like it was a missed opportunity to further thread the entire movie franchise plot. No hints of knights of Ren origin, Rey's father, or Snoke origin; and only 15min of Vader time.

That was my bottom of the barrel expectation. That's why i haven't run out to watch it.

Well of course they're not going to have any ties to the Sequel Trilogy. They have plenty of other opportunities for tie-ins to that period.

I'm not going unless I get a free movie ticket. No amount of proselytizing is going to get me to go...and I see a lot of fanning in this thread.

Great, so what you're saying is that everything you say about the film is worthless and you're talking out of your ass. Just wanted to make sure I understood right.

Just realized you meant Extended Universe and not European Union, was so confused reading the thread

1 Like

Well, They were using Euros in the movie, instead of Republic Credits ;)

1 Like

So you're going to attack me just cause I haven't seen it? If your goal is to get me to go see it by being rude, you might want to try a new strategy.

OP, please add the subtitle of "Only Fans That Have Seen The Movie" to this thread. I wasn't aware that was a requirement to post here.

Nope, I'm going to point out the truth. If you haven't seen it, your opinion on it is baseless and shouldn't be considered valid.

Saying "It doesn't interest me and I'm not going to see it" makes sense.

Claiming that the story is bad, without proof, is idiotic.

So basing my conclusion off of others' observations is idiotic?

This is a fucking movie. It's not politics!

And it doesn't interest me. I was mislead and let down last year. I'm not going to let that happen again.

Let's take it down a notch guys. HK-47 (from what I've seen) knows Star Wars like the back of his hand, so I take his thoughts seriously. Iramo94 people can have opinions on something with out experiencing it, though it may not be as insightful.

You guys are getting angry at each for no good reason. Search your feelings you know it to be true.

1 Like

I was let down last year, though I feel this was a step in the right direction... Recommended
read the books, loved the EU... Don't go in expecting amazing plot, but it wasn't bad in the slightest

Going to go see it today in about 2 hours.

I have no expectations really.

Hopefully it is decent enough reason to eat popcorn.

1 Like