Star Wars: Rogue One: Who's Going?!

Well....

They could have been in the hall way, as the dude with the plans was running down to deliver them to Leia. Not actually with leia, just somewhere on the ship.

I'm eager to see it again tuesday, because i personally didn't know Chopper (from Rebels) was in it lol

also, i guess the reason Red Leader and Gold Leader looked/sounded so perfect was because they were taken from unused footage from ANH :) Also, it was pointed out to me that in the space battle, it shows Red 5 being blown up, which made way for Luke to take his place in the coming days :P

1 Like

This is other demographic the Mouse is counting on to keep the franchise going while they are the stewards of it.

But they've completely ignored a key demographic: Generation Y. Gen Y might've only seen RotJ as little kids, but most likely they saw the OT on tape or TV, never seeing the OT in the theater until Lucas re-released them as the Special Editions in the late 90s. But Gen Y is the group that grew up on the EU novels, the comics, and the games, and it's the EU that has kept Star Wars alive and well into the 21st century. But Disney has turned its backs on them.

Like I said before, Gen X wants to share the experience they had when they were kids and share this moment with their own children. Gen Y wants the excellent stories (of the ones that were) they read in books, comics, and experienced in the games to be brought to life...or something equivalent. Gen Y has been deeply disappointed so far.

I am Gen Z then. Because i grew up in the 90s (never saw OT in theaters till Special Edition. I got the (94?) VHS for christmas, and loved star wars ever since. The orange and later green card PotF action figures were my life lfe.

And then i loved the EU. Got tons of Star Wars Legacy comics, including issue #0.

I just happen to like the direction they are going, I WANTED an EU retcon, and i like the new movies and stories :)

Just got done seeing it. I thought it was excellent.

3 Likes

I went on Friday morning. Reserved some sweet center-high IMAX seats. I thought it was very good but some on the 'member berries' want to criticize every detail. The FX were good, acting good, and the story was pretty good. Well worth buying a ticket and seeing in the theater.

Just saw it last night. Born early 60's so I am not baby boomer or gen x, kinda between. Remember 1st star wars when it was quietly released in a handful of theaters.
Best Star Wars Ever
The franchise finally lost that cartoonish quality that plagued the first three episodes.

It was neat to take my daughter and tell her,"When I saw the first one as a kid if someone told me I would be taking my daughter to a Star Wars movie almost 40 years from now I would have laughed". Previews were ironically all remakes also :) How come they still hand you tickets?

1 Like

I can't remember 100%.... but i know one trailer i got was the new Mummy :P

1 Like

After seeing it last night, overall I thought it was fantastic.

The CGI on Tarkin and Leia was just bad enough to ruin the immersion, the story we good. I would have been more invested in it if they had a character known to live be more in the story or even be in the final atmospheric battle scenes, but that is pretty nit picky. Also I like the easter eggs they had put in the film, made me grin when I noticed them. Also I don't know who posted about not having an opening crawl, but I think the lack of one made the movie much better. This isn't a main movie, and an opening crawl would have slowed down the story, and IMO would not have added anything to the film. Glad that I saw it, and I am looking forward to see the other spin off movies.

They will never get my money again when they decided to try and rewrite cannon. Fuck'em from a long term fan who use to support the cause.

Glad you enjoyed it :)
I have a second hype wind, as i am anxiously awaiting Tuesday to see it again :)

On the CGI.... yeah.. it took me out as well. There was one cut of Tarkin where it looked 100% real, but the rest, it was half perfect, half 'eh....'. And it was the mouth. Again, i don't know how Civil War got Young Robert Downey Jr. so perfect... but there wasn't a single flaw with that... and i just watched it the other day and tried to find a flaw lol

I wish they would have either replaced Tarkin with Vader, done some non talking close-ups with Tarkin and only had him talking in the distance, or made him a hologram.

I believe i let everyone know about the lack of a crawl. i was prepared, but some people didn't know, and about 1/4 of my packed audience gasped. Glad they kept "A long time ago in a glaxy far, far away..."

Tons of Easter eggs, some i didn't even catch. Like, i didn't see Chopper from Rebels... i will be on the look out for him though. And i missed seeing the Ghost, twice! I saw it in the trailer, but didn't look for it in the film, and then i didn't even know it was in a second scene.

I will take my brother in law to see it when I am down with them Friday or Saturday.

I don't think they could have replaced Tarkin with Vader simply becuase cannon dictates that Tarkin has the aspiration to strike fear in the empire with the death star through what is known as the Tarkin doctrine(shock and awe styling fear) anyway I would have been 100% ok if they would have recast the part for Tarkin and Leia, the actor who originally played Tarkin died over 20 years ago, and Carrie Fisher is now 40 years older...but I know rage fits would have happened if they did that. When they flashed the "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." I thought damnit they will have an opening crawl. I am glad they just went into the film.

Certain scenes made me think I was watching an Nvidia or AMD demo, definitely some uncanny valley going on.

1 Like

TBH the expanded universe canon was already a terribly incoherent mess.

Making something non-canon isn't like erasing it from existence. They just won't build anything new on top of the Expanded Universe. It's still there for millenials to enjoy, while the movies are building their own internally-consistent alternate universe.

Start Wars canon:
Storm troopers never fight in mud cause the shiny white paint will get dirty.
Light Saber battles look like they weight 50 lbs (A New Hope)
Light Saber battles look like a ballet dance (all others)
The main characters never die.
Darth Vader is never brutal, doesn't kill but a few people.
Blood never gets on the walls

Most Star Wars movies were inspired but the swashbuckling pirate movies whatshisname saw as a kid.
Rouge One is a War Movie.

1 Like

Whom are you referring to as "millennials?"

The Y generation, people born between the early 1980s and the mid-1990s. We call them millenials around here.

Why? That's not what they're called. They're called Generation-Y. I've talked to more than a few, and they all hate the term "Millennial." It's a label that was foisted upon them by the media, with all sorts of negative connotations. I can't blame them for not liking it. It's a damn buzzword.

I don't think Baby Boomers would like it if they were called the Dirty Hippies or if Gen-X was called the Loser Generation (which they were predicted to be, but turns out, Gen-Y is the first generation as a whole to be worse off than their parents).

Lil update. Watched it for a second time. it was better after a second viewing. :)
I also caught every single Rebels easter egg, so that was fun. Probably see it one more time in theaters.

1 Like

I watched back to back shows. The second time in 3D. The Space Battle in 3D was cool. Vader's scene left me with so much anticipation that 1hr before his scene I was already trying to calm down so I could watch it. It was great BTW