Star Wars: Rogue One: Who's Going?!

Well said I think it is a good idea to keep the films and EU separate. Like Marvel with the cinematic universe and the Comic canon.

You can enjoy one or both and still know what is going on.

I feel a sense of entitlement. The franchise belonged to Lucas Films, and now disney. No matter how many third parties expand upon it's story. They could have easily just taken down these.. fanfics (which were sold as "Star Wars"), but they chose not to. There's no real reason to be upset over them using their property how the feel.

At least they didn't take down the books and pretend they never happened (like nintendo and the metroid 2 remake). They acknowledged them and told their on story.

After reading all of this tread I will leave my opinion. I liked VII. is it flawed? Yes, but the novelization fixed a few problems, and Bloodline helped clear up(not all of the way though) how the first order came to power, any way I liked it enough, not my favorite Star Wars Film though. I am looking forward to Rouge One, I am also really looking forward to the new novels. So many good novels are already out concerning the new cannon.

As far as the EU being dumped, it is sad, but it was the easy thing to do rather then saying this gets to stay and this gets the boot. I hope that they bring back in more then just a nod to, but actually bring back KoToR and others(but I didn't read much of the old EU before VII, but am reading it now because it is fantastic and I want to know how the new stories stack up to the re introduced stories.) But I am glad that Disney wants the writers of new cannon de-emphasize the prequels, it opens up the possibilities of new character.(but if you want a better prequel the "Anti-Cheese" fan edits are good, and they are on youtube)

Anyway back to Rouge One I plan on going with my wife on Friday since we have to go to a departmental Holiday party Thursday. I am pretty hyped and probably will let that hype cover any of the flaws of the first viewing.

Deflection: Nice Try.

You and I aren't entitled to anything, except our opinions, and that's all I'm voicing, my opinion. Mocking Query: And your response is to play the "entitlement" card? Withdrawal: Now that you've resorted to ad hominem, this argument is over, as I'm not going to lower myself to that level.

1 Like

Off topic, but reading your posts makes me want to rush and get the parts for HK-47 in my current play though of KoToR 2. But I am going to enjoy the lost content mod first.

Your response is to mock my response for the kind of response it is. Not much of a counter argument in my opinion. There's only so much a pseudo robot can do, I suppose.

I am having to disagree on the whole "Disney" control thing. Bob Igre gives no input. If you don't like the films, don't blame disney, they are just funding and reaping the rewards, all the creativity is coming from the writers, directors, and Lucasfilm (Kennedy).

In fact, it has been said by both Igre, Kassdan, Abbrams, Kennedy, etc. that there is no input from Disney. They are letting Lucasfilm make their own magic. They believe in them, and so do i.

@SantaClausii Wow.. you read it all?! lol This time tomorrow, i will be in line... in the rain.... with 2 hours to go before the movie starts. good thing i have umbrellas :P

@Weston I did read it all. I wish I could wait in line, but the local theater is super small and I would just look dumb (yay small town america...not really at all actually) and online ticket buying is also great.

Not me, I'll see it later. These guy might be delayed.

1 Like

i'll be waiting 3 hours for good seats.... but it will be worth it lol. Seeing it again Tuesday in IMAX, and that theater has reserved seating, so no need to go early at all.... but i will lol.

1 Like

Ehh, I don't care. Sometimes I shouldn't respond in character.

Probing Query: Robot? What is a robot?

1 Like

I liked it definitely has its faults but still a good film I could probably see myself going to see again with a different group of friends or work.

I had a blast (still have popcorn stuck in my teeth....), but it wasn't uber super blown away. I will probably be seeing it 2 more times in theaters. perhaps this one needs to grow on me. I will hide spoilers, and i expect everyone else to do the same.

SPOILERS!!!!!

Vader was.... epic <.<
Liked how it tied in with ANH
Really liked Krennic's theme
Loved Gold Leader and Red Leader... looked/sounded flawless to the ANH counterparts.
Dr. Cornelius Evazan and Ponda Boba cameos were cool

Dislikes:
Upon first viewing, even though i knew it wouldn't be there, the lack of opening crawl/fanfare threw me off. (bunch of people in the audience weren't aware it wouldn't be in the film lol.

Begining felt a little slow

Although there is one small 4-sec scene where he looks flawless, Tarkin still fell in the uncanny valley, same with leia. I will be honest, i was wondering why they couldn't reach the level of perfection that was achieved with young tony stark in Civil War. that was flawless.

Overall, i enjoyed it, and can't wait to see it again :)

I will make one note.... a lot of scenes in the trailers didn't make it in to the final film...

2 Likes

So, tell me...was it worth waiting three hours just to be seated?

Finally something we can agree on! I appreciate you having the decency to respect the expectations of the people who aren't rushing to see this.

I...fucking...hate...spoilers >_<

1 Like

The death star blows up.

Anyways, I thought it was really boring, maybe I was just tired from seeing it at midnight, but it seemed so pointless the whole time. Near the end I just wished I was watching A New Hope instead of this. It's obvious, we've known for 40 years (twice the time I've been alive) that they get the plans. It had good special effects, but I didn't care about Galen Erso dying or Jyn or Cassian, or even K2SO. The only slightly emotional part for me was when the blind guy died and the his friend right after. So yeah, not really any emotional involvement in the story and it doesn't further or reveal anything I didn't already know or care about. Actually It kinda weakens A New Hope in that the exhaust port of the Death Star was now a weakness put there on purpose instead of being a true design flaw.

So yeah, just million dollars burning on screen in service of almost nothing story wise. I would have much rather enjoyed a re-release of A New Hope in theaters than this.

Actually, the worst part about waiting in line for 3 hours was the fact that i brought my umbrella, because i thought we would be out in the rain, and we actually got to wait inside..... so i had brought my umbrella in for no reason XD

Literally waited in line for 1 hour, then got seated in the theater for the remainder. Got good seats, and even watched king of the hill while waiting lol

Sadly, we had some people behind us that were annoying....whenever anything awesome happened, this one guy would make a comment....

It was definitely worth it :)
I felt a little underwhelmed, but i think part of that is due to what @immortalfish20 hits on. I was a bit tired, and we knew the eventual outcome. That's why i wasn't so emotionally invested in Anakin vs Obi-Wan. we knew obi-wan would be fine, and Anakin would live to become vader.

However, @immortalfish20

I actually loved how the death star exploit originated. I think that part was brilliant. Slightly dissapointed we didn't get to see Krennic shoot more. His gun is awesome. It is a 3-shot blaster that works kind of like an old school revolver.

I am eager to see it again on tuesday. :)

I'm gonna go see it tomorrow.

1 Like

Better to be prepared than to be caught without one. Have you ever watched crime drama that's formulaic, whether they show the murder at the beginning of the show or have a person wrongly accused cleared. It's not necessarily about who did it, it's about how they figure out who did it and how they did it. You don't watch those because you know the outcome. You watch them because you want to know how they came to that outcome. This was the appeal the prequels counted on and now these standalone movies are going to count on. If they screw it up, they screw it up.

Of course (i think every matlock started that way... XD).

If people say it's good without their nostalgia goggles on I'll see it after it's been in theaters for at least a month.