Star Wars Rogue One ... Finally they get it right! (Possible spoilers)

I think if they could just mesh the final battle with FA's story it'd be perfect. While 'neat' the final battle in FA was just a trench run with snow and fewer ships somehow. Like, I need an explanation as to when the x-wing became competent enough not to need designated bombers anymore?

Conversely, the story of Rogue One is just a vehicle to get us to the end battle. They could've done better, there are war movies where you do care more about the characters by the time they all die in the end (Saving Private Ryan, Fury, even 300).

For me the final battle of RO is the payoff, very RotJ-esque, I've always wanted more classic ships in a massive battle. I really dig a good space battle. Oh, and Vader vaderizing things. Needs more AT-AT :stuck_out_tongue:.

2 Likes

Movie just felt pointless to me. All the more we could ever want for the crews and pilots that took down the death star existed in EU. But Disney killed that and reused all of everyone else's hard work by cherrypicking what they wanted out of other people's imaginations x)

Better quality than force awakens by far. But... pretty low bar there.

1 Like

I would say that I found Tarkin to look fine. The moment his lips begun to move it was obvious CGI but it was not that bad to take me out of the movie. Leia on the other hand was like a porcelain doll.

Look up "The Congress" ( https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_congress/ ) for an answer to that.

It was an okay film imo but it spent way too much time setting up characters I knew were doomed to be killed off at the end and then the music and the characters expressions got all swelling and emotional, expecting me to feel sorry for them. I didn't.

The way they killed the characters off in succession was funny as hell though. Giving them each their own epic scene in which to be epic before they die.

CinemaSins has tainted me in the way I watch films now. Every one-liner, every plot-hole, every cliche, every pronoun game is something that I almost can't stop myself from pointing out. Maybe I should stop watching them...

What ruined the film for me most of all, in any case was the nudging knowledge in the back of my head that this was Disney's spin on how the plans for the death star were stolen, rebuilt and cherry-picked from the huge amounts of non-film canon that Disney arbitrarily de-canonized.

2 Likes

I absolutely agree!

The main 2 characters made no sense at all...

The girl had confusing motives. Was she rebellious or striving to do the right thing? Was she a team player or not a team player??? Did she have daddy issues or didn't she? I seriously could not figure her out and therefore could not sympathize, empathize, or even remotely identify with her struggle...

The second main character was equally all over the place. This I assume would be the rebel spy that crossed her path a dozen times. His motives were equally vague and confusing. Did he hate the rebellion or was he a "believer" in it's plight? He felt like both and I think he changed in some way through the movie but it wasn't clear how or what changed him.

IMHO, it's telling that the most developed, most identifiable, and memorable characters were these two... and they didn't even have a key part in the plot.

1 Like

The commentary on this movie is in the Star Wars thread. The thread has a particular Disney Contracted Universe bias. I couldv'e sworn I posted my critique of the movie, but I don't see it. I guess I wrote it but never posted it.

I disagree, the only satisfying thing was the final battle, and even that was partially ruined by the utter fanservice at the end that breaks continuity. All the pieces are there for a Star Wars movie, but it just doesn't feel like a Star Wars movie. It feels like a war movie set in the Star Wars galaxy. It's still better than Force Awakens by a long shot, but it falls short of being up there with any of the Saga.

Also, please edit your post to warn that unapologetic spoilers without code are contained in this thread.

1 Like

Luckily I saw this before I saw The Farce Awakens
It was a great star wars movie, great battle screens and a romantic ending.
When you have a guy who is dressed like this who needs character development :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Probably because he was an after thought. Thrown into the film to appease the Chinese government. Maybe I'm wrong but Disney does this shit all the time now (I'm looking at you Iron Man 3).

That said 5/10, paid for a matinee ticket. Six bucks, I think. Shallow film that didn't capture what made the original trilogy great. The best part was the last 10 minutes or so when Darth Vader actually did something.

1 Like

In my humble opinion I think Rogue One is a very good movie. Yes it has its flaws, yes Disney could have made Rogue One a more interesting movie or more pleasing to the die hard movie fan, but Disney decided to make Rogue One appealing to all Audiences at the risk of insulting the true die hard Star Wars fan. The days when you could put the name Star Wars on anything and earn millions of dollars are over.

I guess I should have started off with a definition of what I exactly mean by the term die hard fan. OK, here is my definition of what a die hard Star Wars fan is: a person who's first exposure to original movies as a kid, not the remakes Lucas made several years after. Now that everyone is on the same page we can now talk about the merits of Rogue One.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but In my opinion I think any Star Wars movie made today isn't going to appeal to any die hard Star Wars fan for several reasons.

First, they are starting a new story which is going to introduce new main characters, a die hard fan isn't going to care about the new characters because he or she grew up with the old. An example of the point I am trying to get across is I think no other actor can portray James Bond but Sean Connery because he was the first actor who played James Bond in the first James Bond movie I ever saw, but that doesn't mean that any other movie that has an other actor portray James Bond isn't any good.

Second reason, I think die hard fans are disappointed with the new Star Wars films is they are expecting to have the same feeling and reactions they had to the original Star Wars films. That just isn't possible because as you grow up you are going to have different feeling and reactions to what ever movie you saw as a kid. I remember going to see the first Star Wars movie as a 12 year old boy (Yes I know I am an old Man:grinning:). Now when I watch the same movie it isn't quite the same as I remember. Don't get me wrong it still a great movie, but it isn't quite the same movie.

I could go on and on, but this post is all ready longer than I intended. If anyone else is interested in other thoughts I have why so many people hated Rogue One they can post there questions or queries here.

2 Likes

Seriously? Its right in the uncanny valley. Nevertheless the CGI is impressive but not perfect.

To be honest, when I first saw it I didn't notice it either. Then I found out he was CG and looked bad. It was believable on Leia.

That's actually what I liked about Rogue One. It was just war. It didn't revolve around bullshit politics or the Force.

1 Like

Ah, but there was politics. Remember the Rebels arguing in the Massassi Temple after they confirmed the existence of the Death Star? You had the military leaders and political leaders of the Alliance in a single room, arguing over whether they should fight and voting (stupidly) on what to do. (Yes, let's just roll over for the Empire and not fight.) Krennic's feud with Tarkin was also political, although it was political in the context of office politics. Saw also alluded to the politics of the situation in the galaxy to Jyn when meeting her again.

Also, there was no fucking story. The story is the politics of the galaxy and the Force. People are affected by those grand scale things even if they don't think they are. The characters were all affected by those things, which is what brings them together. You can see a hint of character development, but it never gets fleshed out, and, "hey audience, you've seen the original movie already, so you know what's going to happen. We don't have to put effort into a real story or compelling characters," is a copout.

It is really sad that Hollywood doesn't give a flying fuck about Asian Americans that have been clamoring for better representation in films, but as soon as Mainland China becomes a viable market, they kowtow (albeit half-assed) to the almighty dollar.

1 Like

It is kinda funny reading the reaction of black sci-fi fans to Star Wars as opposed to Star Trek

Guy who played Teal'c talked about how in Hollywood he had 2 choices:
Play a disaffected black cop.
Play a disaffected black criminal
Kinda cool when you see him later writing and producing episodes

Got any links to these reactions?

The Teal'c interviews were on the "extras" section of the SG-1 dvd's. No idea which year.
On the first Star Wars being all white that controversy is legendary
Wish I had the link to one article that just ripped into Star Wars

Oh I thought you meant there was something new published. I think we've all heard something about the "all-white (except Billy Dee Williams) Original Trilogy" or how much Asian culture permeates the look and feel of Star Wars, yet there are no Asian actors in the OT. (OK, so what if Bultar Swan is in one of the prequels for a few seconds?) Yes, I know Toshiro Mifune was offered the role of Obi-Wan Kenobi (and Darth Vader) and turned them down. It really was a missed opportunity for an entire group of people.

@Old_Snake there was CG in this movie for certain characters? If so I didn't notice it. I am glad that if it was there it didn't in the slightest way ruin the film for me. Please don't point out the parts if there were any as again I didn't notice.

There was and it was painfully obvious and a dishonor to the talent that portrayed those characters.

1 Like

Of course there was CGI in the movie. And why would knowing if CGI were in the movie ruin the movie? I don't get it.

I was only pointing out that for me it felt that Tarkin was in the uncanny valley (probably because something was a little off especially when Tarkin was talking, also I knew that Peter Cushing already passed away) And It wasn't pure CGI they simply added the Tarkin head on Guy Henry's body when he was acting so that helped reduced the overall CGI footprint in the movie.

This comment makes me sad.