STAR TREK Owners CBS/Paramount sue to stop crowdfunded fan film STAR TREK: Axanar [LAWSUIT SETTLED!]

Updated
01/21/17
Lawsuit settled. Looks like we wont be getting our originally planned feature length film, but instead it will be knocked down to x2 15min episodes. Fuck CBS.
Offical statement here.

Updated
01/04/17
We're going to trial!

Updated
11/18/16
Well, here we are almost a year later and this thing is still going. CBS really needs to just get fucked, focus on thier own damn show, and let the FANS make a FAN FILM. Hundreds of Star Trek Fan Films have been made with no protest from the studios. What makes this one different? Nothing! Except for the fact that it looks amazing. Hows that new show going CBS? Last I heard it was in trouble!

Original Post
12/31/15
As a massive trekkie and someone who has donated over $100 to this project, let me formally say "FUCK YOU" to CBS and Paramount.

This is a crowd funded fan film. CBS/Paramount needs to shut the fuck up and make there own movie. Axanar looks like it's going to be a thousand times better than any of the reboots. Holy shit this pissed me off.

@wendell RELEASE THE HOUNDS!

2 Likes

"No money? You mean you don't get paid?"
"The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in our lives. We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity."
- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Star Trek First Contact.

3 Likes

But why does this surprise you at all? They just said oh hey we're going to pull in a few million dollars to make a "fan film". It can't really be called that once it stars professional actors and costs millions and is based on someone elses intellectual property. CBS and Paramount have never sued before because no one has ever spent this kind of dough on a "fan film". This doesn't surprise me in the least and I don't know how people didn''t see this coming.

Since this has a monetary cost they have to stop the production or risk loosing rights to the IP. Doubt they want that since another series may be on the works.

It had better story then any of the movies. And it wasn't like it was a surprise. It's been in production for the last year, and editing hasn't it. It was fan funded, if they didn't take a loss just release a torrent. Or give a Fast and Furious Director credits.

disappointing, but not surprising.

Also, I'm not really a trek fan, so I might not be that disappointed.

(but that doesn't change the fact that it is sad to hear a passionate fan being hit by the sloppy weiner off a large conglomerate)

Well, here we are almost a year later and this thing is still going. CBS really needs to just get fucked, focus on thier own damn show, and let the FANS make a FAN FILM. Hundreds of Star Trek Fan Films have been made with no protest from the studios. What makes this one different? Nothing! Except for the fact that it looks amazing. Hows that new show going CBS? Last I heard it was in trouble!

fucking hell i think CBS is the only one this asshurt over fan films

We're going to trial!

Lawsuit settled. Looks like we wont be getting our originally planned feature length film, but instead it will be knocked down to x2 15min episodes. Fuck CBS.
Offical statement here.