SSD's.... >(

Nice system, but where is the 2K / 4K monitor? Want a decent sync’d 144Hz+ and that will cost you too.

Above was not a complete system, no. Above assumed you already had a screen, PSU and case to put the parts in.

Add $500 for a decent 4k 144 Hz screen($350) + case ($75) + PSU ($75). That goes for all the systems I listed above though. But 144 Hz is mostly just for e-sports and lowered latency, too. It doesn’t really matter in single player games like Cyberpunk or Tomb Raider, and most competitive gamers do not run Ultra due to performance ratio maximization.

If you can afford a $2000 system, then you are not the person trying to wring the most performance from every dollar. $50 here or there does not really matter to you. And then you will not run 4k@200 FPS, because the cost/performance benefit to get there is just stupid. Easily 3x-4x what you pay for a 1080p @ 200 FPS system today.

I want bigger disks, to a reasonable price.

1 Like

When you look at TSMC at 2nm and looking to smaller. Silicon is going to crush rust in the end. Well lights wave length vs transistor size.
Then is only cost. I have over 40TB of spinning rust in my desktop and I’ve removed a few drives.
One day I should make a NAS… Or a forbidden router

1 Like

My old Amiga solved that with secondary tasks offset to smaller logic processors. In time, we’ll probably see CPU and GPU come together into logical nodes that can work on any audio, video, networking, hash, transcode process you need. An endlessly shifting series of tasks firing up cores as needed then suspending them when not.

And for every processing node that fires up, Microsoft will have a fee for it. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’ve built quite a lot of gaming PCs over the last 4 years. I started with 240GB SSD boot drive and a 500GB games drive. Generally my teenage gamers would fill these very quickly, except the odd one who only played one game. I now build them with 1TB SSD and 2TB HDD, they fill these up too. I’m pretty sure what ever size I fitted they’d fill them.

The situation is completely different for the person who just runs one spreadsheet and nothing else, as many of my other customers do.

Sure, people are lazy bastards and won’t uninstall crap, and AAA games do take up a lot of space. I still maintain 2 TB of SSD storage is good enough for most people. Yes, you can have a CoD fetish and install every mod and map under the sun for 1 TB of storage. But then you won’t be playing much of anything else at the same time, now will you?

Granted, I am at the opposite end of the spectrum, and often play older titles, Indie titles and AA games such as the old Final fantasies (I - XII), Cities Skylines, Overcooked and Tales of… games. My use case makes do with 512 GB boot drive + 1 TB SATA SSD and I barely use the 1TB (currently empty, does occasionally house 100 GB games).

I do not discount that you need more storage sometimes. But today, a 1 TB NVMe boot drive costs around $70 and a 2 TB NVMe costs roughly $150. Sure you can get 2TB HDD for $40 and 6TB for $150, but the sloooooooow performance of SATA drags them down even with SSD cache. HDDs are just not worth it any more, and if you need storage a 1 GbE is theoretically faster so a NAS makes more sense in either case.

HAHAHAHA!!

I get that, it’s basically only gamers and video editors that fill up the space fast. I don’t install games on HDD’s anymore, they are too slow, for the big games, when I have 2TB main m.2 SSD that read and writes about a hundred times faster. I only use the HDD for long term storage, for like video files, sound, documents etc. The important stuff, since if the flash drive dies, then it’s bye bye data. I prefer HDD’s for this though. I need to buy a couple of 10TB disks to have in raid just for data storage. Maybe something bigger if the price is right.

I hate the wait time, and I use linux, while the uninstall is kind of clean, I rather just install everything that I will want to play or others want to play and then let it be. Especially if the internet dies for me. Even though I have 600 Mbit/s down, it still takes time to download some of the bigger games, like GTA, Borderlands etc. and when you have games installed, you can have them on AUTO UPDATE, and they will just be playable when you get the feel for it. I’m a very flimsy gamer, I play anything, but I usually don’t play it for more then a couple of minutes at times, and then it takes a month before I play it again. I rather just have it there then to spend the time downloading and installing it every time. It’s not lazy, it’s a one day install and then a year or two before reinstalling the computer.

I haven’t installed everything as I did last time now, because I need to buy a couple of more 2TB m.2 sticks for the sole purpose of having games on them, and If I have the games library on an m.2, or more, I can just take out the PCIe-card and put it in someone elses computer that doesn’t have as good internet. Also I like playing retro games, and it takes a long time downloading some of the … sometimes, and you rather just sit on the roms then to download them every time you want to play them. Some of the games took years to even find, since they aren’t even sold anymore. "/

HDD’s are only there for storage nowadays, or old games, that have no need for super speeds.

Yeah sure, a NAS would be nice, if they were inexpensive, but many of the cheap options have an interface that totally sucks and those that have a good interface are too expensive to buy. I wanted to have a nas for so long, that way I can just have my data laying around and I only have to spin them up when I access the data, now i instead mount the HDD’s when I need something and unmount them when not in use, since they slow down my computers performance overall.

Sure, but is that the use case of the average gamer? Most have a couple of Go-back-tos that take up like, what? 300-400 GB total? And then play the new stuff, install and remove as you’re finished with Metro Exodus, Cyberpunks, Final Fantasy XV, …

If you really want fast local storage, get a 4 slot m.2 motherboard. I wouldn’t be surprised if the next gen Mobos support up to 8 m.2 slots, even. Then you just buy storage as required. For all other use cases, get a NAS.

Argon EON RPi NAS with 1 GbE (which is like, 80-85% the same speed as a local SATA HDD) costs $250, draws ~20W of power and supports four disks. That’s the low end of the spectrum, start small and go bigger. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use Steam and have over 300 games, but not all are installed. When a new game comes out like CyberPunk 2077, I install it on my 1TB NVMe game drive. When I no longer play it daily (Skyrim, Fallout), I move it to my 10TB spinning rust RAID 1 drive and live with the slower loading speeds. If I don’t play it for 3 months, I uninstall.

Luckily, I have just under a GB of Internet access so reloading a 75GB game takes ~20 min.

1 Like

What’s your budget? I have a 10GB NAS (Dual channel to 20GB if needed). 7TB of RAID 6 storage on SSD. Internal storage will always be faster (and cheaper) though.

Simple, it’s neither greed, nor capitalism, it’s supply vs. demand. When you have short supply and a very high demand, prices go up. Until folks say no to the current prices, or the supply improves prices will not go down.

What’s the alternative, a system where the government decides who is worthy of new storage and they control the price? If the government decreed that prices should be slashed by 50%, what do you think would happen to the supply? No manufacturer will keep producing products that they must sell at a loss. At the very least quality would suffer, or the affected products would cease to be manufactured all together.

And speaking of the government, let’s not forget the record inflation that has been gifted to us by the government, because of their irresponsible spending. On top of that, let’s also not forget the transportation costs have skyrocketed, because of the government’s war on energy and the resulting increase in price of diesel fuel and other forms of energy. Products do not arrive at your local Micro Center by capillary action! They arrive via ship, plane, rail and truck, all of which use various forms of energy that are all under siege by the government.

1 Like

I was struggling to see which government you were referring too, until I realized that your statement applies to ALL governments. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.