SSD very very slow to boot up

HI everyone

So I recently bought a HyperX savage 500gb SSD. I was able to sucessfully clone Windows 10 from my HDD over to this new SSD using Macrium software. However, booting up with the new SSD in horrendously slow, way slower than when I used the HDD. Although my motherboard only supports SATA2, it should still be WAAAAY faster booting up than my HDD. When booting up, I see the windows logo, then it turns into a blue screen with the loading circle icon going around and it stays this way for about two minutes before the login screen appears. Then when I type my password, there is a lot of lag from when I press on the keyboard to when the characters show up on the screen. Then when I finally enter my desktop screen, all the icons take forever to show up. Overall, I think booting up takes about an entire 5 minutes from this supposedly super fast SSD. Do you think I should return this SSD? Or is it a problem with windows or something else. PLEASE HELP!

Don't clone to SDD from HDD.

Cloning is typically fine. The only thing I suggest is double checking your drivers, and turning the page file off of the SSD (at least, that is what I prefer).
I've seen an infection/malware which causes this issue. I've also seen SATA controllers go a bit whack after a clone, and sometimes your better off with a total reinstall.
Rarely, you might have a SATA controller that is going, but that is unlikely in newer hardware.

detailed reason why apart for possible driver issues to resolve?

i would actuall have to agree with @eidolonFIRE

when you clone a HDD to an SSD the os still treats the drive like a HDD rather than a SSD, just format your HDD save all your data to the HDD and reinstall windows, its the best way trust me ive been through this before

1 Like

which will be because of either a registry entry that you can change or a driver issue or something, lol trust me i've been through this before, the easiest answer isn't always the best solution depending on the situation, most people can just do a clean reload, some people still have performance issues after a clean reload.
-Check in device manager under disc drives, double click your SSD and check under the policies tab if it has better performance selected and make sure write caching is enabled.
-If it's running as an ATA disc then it's probably still running at UDMA mode two or three.
you can do a regedit but uninstalling the driver and rebooting so it reloads usually fixes it.

That used to be a common thing old XP machines with enough age or after a sick HDD replaced it would still be all the way down to PIO data mode and you had to do a manual reg fix to correct that.
I've seen a lot of 2-4 year old intel chipet laptops usually that develop really slow hard drive access speed over time but the hard drive is fine and healthy, reloading the drivers resolves it.

1 Like

Would I need my product key to reinstall?

yep, with windows 7 you can leave it blank during installation and enter it later on, you used to have 30 days before it locks down but more recently i've seen it give me 3 days to activate. not so sure about windows 10 haven't been through the process enough for it to be burnt into my brain yet

if you have a win 7,8,10 cd & key from a box copy then yes, if you have an windows 8 or 10 oem key like that would come on a pre-built desk top or laptop then it should have a your key saved in the bios and win 10 "should" detect it.

I just saved all my files onto my other hard drive and reset Windows 10. Works fine now, thanks guys

1 Like