SSD riddled with virus's and pirated windows

block size is just how much space files take up on the disk. a 1kb file with a 4kb block size will take up 4kb of space on disk. but with a smaller block size you save space but lose out in speed and vise versa

Windows license: I've installed my windows 7 home premium key on different pcs several times. The only thing I have had to do is call microsoft when activating (you call a free number, type in a code and you get a code back). And of course don't use it on several pcs at the same time.

SSD: SSDs have a secure erase command to basically reset every bit to zero in 2 seconds or so. Reformatting doesn't erase anything. Secure erase also restores performance to the highest possible level (because the ssd can now write to anywhere because it knows it's all empty). Try doing that if you haven't yet installed anything on it.

Just google 'secure erase ssd' to find a good way to do it. I think you are going to need to connect the ssd to a real sata cable though (not sata-usb).

1 Like

Yes, what you wanna do is a secure erase on the SSD. Formatting kind of does nothing.
Look up the website of the brand of SSD it is and see if they have a tool for it.

Otherwise you can probably achieve this with a Linux live CD. Maybe even GParted has a secure erase command?
I do not know so.. Maybe someone here does.
But Parted Magic does have it but it's behind a 9$ paywall nowadays.

Yes "viruses" can be transferred just by plugging the drive into your system.

Legally? No, can you? Yes. The oem key is meant for one computer and really needs extra steps to correctly fit the oem licence from microsoft.

Yes it does. I have used it. It quickly writes zeros to every cell in the SSD.