SSD recommendation for VM guests

I’m about to do my first steps in virtualization with a new system.
Now I wonder which SSD to get for the guest OSs. There will be at least one windows terminal server, a NAS solution, and a bunch of other linux and windows machines running on the system.

The mainboard (H12SSL-CT) supports 2 M.2 PCIe 4.0 drives, but I could also install a U.2 SSD.

So far, I was mostly looking at the 960 GB / 1 TB SSD size. Data would be stored separately on 3.5" HDDs.

Which SSD(s) would you recommend and why?

1 Like

SK Hynix, Kingston, and Mushkin (if you can find one) are all excellent SSD manufacturers; great reputation, great memory controllers, and the price/GB is usually unbeatable. Samsung is way too inflated in price to be worth it IMO, and you’re bypassing the middle man in many cases by going straight to SK Hynix who makes the flash memory for these major manufacturers (Kingston, Samsung(?) and adata)

Personally I use a 1TB SK Hynix gold SSD for my KVM installs. It’s never failed me once and seems immune from power cut-off memory controller corruption, unlike my Kingston drive from 2013 which needed a firmware patch

Unfortunately, I couldn’t source the SK Hynix SSD. It seems they don’t distribute it in Europe.

My 2nd try was the Corsair MP600 but then I got a good offer for a Western Digital SN850. I’m curious how this consumer SSD will perform (and last) as a VM guest drive.

Is it just me not good at searching or are professional grade M2 SSD scarce, especially with PCIe 4? I’m aware of the U2 form factor, but if there is a M2 slot on the server mainboard, I like to use it.

At work I run a dozen or so VMs off a pair of the cheapest SSDs I could get off Amazon at the time - SanDisk Ultra II. The machine runs a pair in RAID1, and they’ve been running several years, no problems so far.

Machine was set up as a test, then suddenly became production when COVID hit and everyone started working from home (It’s a HP Z440 workstation with 128GB RAM and a E5 Xeon, and the two 1TB SanDisk drives, it’s running Server 2016 as the Hypervisor).

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.