SSD or HDD first?

maybe there are questions like this already, but i'm asking for me.....

I'll be building a base gaming and casual use pc in the future.

I'll be getting the cpu, motherboard, ram, PSU, cheap case, hdd and ssd.

So, my question is, should i save up and get both or get an ssd first or an hdd first?

I'd rather install my OS on the ssd but it's about 3 times more expensive then the hdd.

I'd get a WD10EZEX and a Samsung 840 250GB.

Later i'd get the gpu, better case, display, quality peripherals, speakers and so on....

Also, can i transfer my OS from HDD to ssd if i got the HDD first??

Well, the SSD has plenty of capacity to run a gaming system, at least for a short while. I would prefer to spend money on the "pro" version of the 840. The non-pro isn't as competitive, in my opnion. It is easily out-done by competitors, at that particular price point. That's not to say there's anything wrong with it.

You can always add additional storage at a later time.

Personally I would go for an ssd to start with for your OS and frist couple of games and then move over to a hdd but i depends on how long the gap will be and how many games you are planning to put on in that sapce of time.

When i saw this i was expecting everyone to say HDD but until...

It makes more sense to go for HDD because it should last a whole lont longer if you treat it right, plus there is nothing worse than having a computer and not being able to use it because the hard drive is full. Getting an ssd later on gives you an opportunity to either just clone the hdd or start over fresh. Btw I would also recomment getting a seagate hdd and a samsung ssd  

I say the SSD (after the building experience of this last PC) because of the reduced headache involved in migrating the installation. An SSD of the capacity you mention is great for everything you'll use, but I would definitely move your user data (docs, music, pics, etc) onto an HDD when you can. Bare in mind that when you install your OS it will place a swap file on there so that'll take up a percentage. Make sure to keep some breathing room on there for data manipulation and/or updates. If you're like me and have an UPS, then you'll need space for a Hibernation file as well.

Here's a simple compare search for SSDs similar to what you're looking at. I looked at what you've mentioned and noticed it's cheaper because it has a slow read. Granted, I paid a premium for mine (one on the right), but my max read/write speeds are in the >500MB/s range while your read speed is like ~260MB/s. I'm not gaming all that much, but I can see how that might be important for you. I've heard good things about the Munchkin brand so the third one (1st in group) would be a good comprimise for the price.

I was kinda in the same position and really you can get away with a SSD only and then with an old pc or get a NAS running for storage. So you'd have 1 or 2 HDD in the NAS for data and the rest of your systems just run off of SSDs.

I have 5 SSDs in 4 computers with 2 HDDs that mirror eachother for data (Raid 1 NAS) The soon to be AMD-Rog rig, The workstation, laptop, htpc can pull data, movies, games, docs, and whatever else off the NAS.

You could either run a freenas which is what I'm doing now. Theres a great step by step on lifehacker.com to build a freenas. Or go the easy route and get like a d-link enclosure and some HDD either way use your HDD on your network for storage and SSDs on your computer systems.

If all you want the SSD for is your OS then go for a 60GB. This should allow you to get a 500GB HDD at the same time. Later you can always get larger or more HDDs.

Here is an example of a good SSD on the Canadian Newegg site. Again, just my opinion.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148532

I'd go for the ssd 250 GB is definitely enough for the os a few programs and games.