SSD only NAS/Server using consumer grade hardware

Hi All,

Looking for some wisdom on a 100% SSD based Server/NAS

I’m based in Australia for reference, so access to fancy ex enterprise hardware is not an option as its exorbitantly expensive (at least the hardware that is worth spending money on) .

I was thinking of going with a Ryzen based system most likely a R7 3700X or R5 3600 with 32GB (2 x 16GB) RAM. Hypervisor/NAS/OS software I am leaning towards is Un-Raid (but can be swayed). And as many (at least 8) 1TB consumer grade SATA SSD’s I can throw at it.

Primary use will be editing and storing 4K 60FPS 150Mbps footage, but general data will also be put on it. I will also run VM’s on it from time to time (hence the logic behind a 6/8 core Zen 2 CPU).

What I don’t know is if the X570 / B550 motherboards can handle the Storage throughput of 8+ SSDs using the built-in SATA ports and controller.

Has anyone else had experience with this, or ran into bottlenecks?

SATA is so slow you’ll be fine in terms of bandwidth.

However, I wouldn’t trust the junky AMD RAID software with eight drives.

Australia is closer to China than the US, are there lots of embargoes or tariffs preventing import of used IT equipment?

I would look for a used Adaptec or Promise raid card, something new enough to know what an SSD is and support trim or wear leveling, etc, to protect the drives a little better.

Hi @gordonthree excellent, yes I would imagine the RAID solution from AMD would be sub optimal for more than 2 drives although I was under the impression that software like FreeNAS and UnRaid bypasses traditional hardware solutions and handles it all in software? or is a full blown raid card required still?

Used RAID cards seem to be available on Ebay for a few Hundred.

I was thinking of running 6 active drives in the array with 2 hot spares/redundancy similar to RAID 6.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.