SSD not recognized in dell inspiron 1545

Is there any reason for an OCZ Trion 100 to not get recognized by my dell inspiron 1545? I know the drive is good because I pulled it from a XPS m1330 after getting a larger capacity SSD for it. I've read that Samsung EVO drives have had compatibility issues with this laptop but was under the assumption that installing the latest BIOS version took care of it.

Have you cloned the previous os on the ssd? Or is the ssd empty?

1 Like

The SSD has a Xubuntu 14.04 install on it. I didn't wipe it when I took it out of the XPS m1330

@wendell do you know of a source for NAND flash controllers compatibility for different laptops?

could you do me a mondo super favor?
ive got a dimension 1545 too
but ive busted my screen,
id like to use it with a spair vga like i had been,
but i need a drive immage that i can clone onto my hdd

i was running the windows 10 beta copy and it decided to expire

issue is, i cant get into the secondary screen, whilst in bios or the usb installation key for win7 that i have

so i think my only hope, is to yank the hdd, clone an install onto it, and boot off of that.

think you can make an image in like a .daa format ?
if i recall .daa will not take up real space for null data on a disk.

so if you have like xxx gigabytes free space on the partition, the daa will ignore that
itll only be as large as the installation actually is

maybe i should make this a main forum post?

Sorry but I don't have a copy of Win7. Mine shipped with Vista so I don't even have a usable win7 COA for it.

any working operating system would be great
at the moment its a useless busted laptop

Have you tried booting linux from a usb drive or a dvd?

Should make clear if your notebook is having trouble with the linux os.

problem here is that the SSD drive was configured to work with your older laptop, your newer laptop uses booting with UEFI.

Your old laptop used the old booting with BIOS. Like luke said, try booting with a live usb drive or dvd. It sucks but most likely you will have to reinstall your OS to solve this problem

I've had it running linux exclusively since 2011 and the SSD isn't being detected by my the laptop at all. In the BIOS is doesn't show it and when I went to install xubuntu 14.04 it showed no usable drive for installation

Doing a fresh install was the gameplan from the start. My issue is with the SSD not being recognized by the hardware. I believe the issue is with the NAND flash controller not being recognized by the laptop at this point and would just trade SSDs from another laptop I have lying around but want to make sure that I won't run into the same issue again.

this may be your issue. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825112.aspx.

if the other laptop used uefi with secure boot then you may have to put you old drive back into its orginal laptop remove the securure boot reformat the drive then install back into your older machine.

I had last year a similar issue, the ssd was detected with a usb3.0/sata dongle (the laptop was also a few years old). Then I cloned the hdd with Samsung Magican onto the ssd, after that I swapped the hdd with the ssd and no bootable drive was detected... lol (was win7 or win10, can't remember)

I was searching for the 1545 dell model, and I saw that is an older laptop, is possible that it still uses SATA 1 or 2, and your SSD uses SATA 3 that is not always compatible.

Some of the first discs with SATA 3 had a jumper to set the disc to work only as older SATAs for compatibility.