SSD Migration Issue New SSD keeps going BSOD. Old one works fine

Yeah I cloned the old ssd to the new one. I've already ruled out it being the GPU after getting tons of flickering on the monitor and the system freezing periodically.

Can you explain why Cloning an OS is asking for trouble?

How did you clone? Software? Cloning station?

You are actually cloning the drive not the OS...

In strange cases, Bad sectors can be copied over in a Clone... It's not something I can prove out right, but I have heard of it... Cloning is more so for rescues missions or forensic work in my experience.

clonezilla is a nice live distro for making drive images and writing them out. Did well to transfer my inlaws windows from hdd to ssd...

I've done this countless times from multiple drives. Unless the sectors or drive medium you're copying to is bad, I have never seen or had any issues doing this, whether in software or other methods. I have done this several times and you will only have issues with compatibility if the cloned OS is using a different chipset, processor, etc.

^^^
Something to note

So
A. You copied a bad sector/corrupt over
B. One of the device drivers is causing an issue
C. The filesystem didn't migrate correctly

Testing the sectors on the new drive, run something like CrystalDiskMark to make sure the SATA controller is working properly. Additionally, cause the filesystem might have migrated the blocks differently, after you migrate it run chkdsk/r on the new drive

2 Likes

Can you follow this guide and post the minidump here? I actually want to look at these:

I used the Samsung Data Migration Software the came with the SSD

I'll look into that I might have it saved on my external drive

It could be some sort of driver issue. Try installing the new SSD in the system while the old one is still the system drive. After Windows installs any related drivers for the new SSD clone the old SSD to the new one. Then try booting from the new one. It might be a bit of a long shot.

1 Like

The 120 SSD was still in good condition when I checked it with the Samsung Magician and In the Disc Management. So I ruled that off the list. I also ran CCleaner, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, Glary Utilities and Malware Hunter before doing any copying whatsoever and made sure All my Drivers where up to date.

Hell it even Blue Screened on me when I ran the Sfc /scannow command in the command prompt in Windows RE

Only explanation I can come up with is the something became corrupt along the way, Cause why would the old SSD work with no issues and the new one is acting all iffy.

So what I did was format the new ssd and delete the partition now Disc Management recognized the drive

All drivers were up to date I made sure of that before doing anything, I was trying my best to cover all bases before doing anything. Thank goodness I decide to hold off formatting my old Ssd

Just ran sfc /scannow in command it says " Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them" I ran this command yesterday and nothing came back.

Gonna try cloning it again I'll keep you guys posted on what happens

After following this thread for a while, Did you do any sector checks on the old drive before cloning? Also, is it necessary to Clone? Do you have a copy of the OS you could use and then backup your direrctories?

I'm almost sure of this now... The reason being, You have to understand how Cloning an OS works. Its not a copy files over method conceptually, You are actually making a replica of the raw drive byte for byte... Not sure you understand this or not, but if you have questions just reply.

I would agree. I'd suggest you do a full sector test of the drive.

I originally suggested chkdsk cause it would fix breaks in the filesystem, something that is common in the NTFS setup

2 Likes

My thinking that running badblocks >> /dir/to/file/badblock.txt and then re-running badblocks -i badblock.txt so you can report the bad sectors to the new drive, but that could present an issue with the new drive moving forward.

Maybe wiping the New drive again, and running a chkdsk on the new drive, to allocate the bad sectors it has and then cloning the OS, if a fresh install is not an option. it could be that the clone utility is writting to bad sectors on the new drive causing BSOD...

[i'm going off the charts now]

2 Likes

Yeah I know how cloning works. I did sector checks and did a repair on the old drive. The new drive is now saying it found corrupt files but was unable to fix some if them. I'm just gonna do a fresh install of windows and reinstall everything back. Already backed everything up

1 Like

Glad there is a fix for you.

chkdsk reports nothing bad but when I run scannow it says there is corrupt files some it fix others it can't just gonna do a clean install

Thanks everybody for helping

{Case Closed}

1 Like