Spotify Awarded Patent for Further Spying Capabilities

Both. You can do spotify style streaming with just the monthly sub, or you can do amazon style purchase downloads with or without the sub.

If youā€™re subbed, do you get a discount on purchases? Like Audible-style?

They have 2 tiers. 14/mo just streaming. 20/mo for up to 60% off.

Sorry, I said 96KHz, apparently itā€™s 192KHz where available. (not all music is available in thiccccccc quality)

For example:

Iā€™m evaluating their stream of Defenders of the Faith right now. Itā€™s really good quality.

2 Likes

Hmmmm :thinking:

Well Iā€™ll have to think about it more, but it might just be better value to look for CDā€™s at a local store or something.

Just as an example

Dark Side Of The Moon is going for $12 at Rasputin, but Qobuz is $16.49 (assuming without discount, but it doesnā€™t show me it).

1 Like

I do love me some FLAC. First time I streamed FLAC from my Plex in the car I knew I was on to something good.

1 Like

Yeah I was just thinking the same thing. $10 a month for spotify is starting to look like a bad deal.

Remember this. If youā€™re willing to risk an account ban on your platform of choice, you have the ability to rip from it. This is true with every streaming platform with the possible exception of Apple Music because of the nature of their ecosystem. This is the inherent risk that made the RIAA so on edge. The fact of the matter is that artists have never been more free than in this age of digital downloads and streaming. Which is probably why the RIAA is basically dead today. Artists are keeping more of their own money by releasing demos on spotify and landing on the Discover page, reaching millions of people without signing a contract with a record agency who keeps 85% of the revenue. So while itā€™s possible to rip, it seems that not enough people do it to make a difference.

Thatā€™s literally all Iā€™ll say though. Iā€™m not taking that route because I believe in supporting the artists and have the means to do so.

Yes, that tends to be the case. Youā€™re paying for the convenience of instant access. Also, depending on distance to music store, you might spend the $4 difference in gas.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve only kept Spotify for the student discount which brings the price down to $5 a month. I donā€™t really like the library management in Spotify. Apple Music is the best in that aspect IMO, but then they had to go and do this.

Ya true. Used to have one right down the street, but now I think the closes is probably 15 minutes away.

Donā€™t mistake this for me saying thereā€™s no value in getting out of the house, especially these days.

Also true. Itā€™s just that all I do with spotify is play the same playlists over and over again, and occasionally add something when a new album drops. I donā€™t really use it to discover new music, so I might as well just buy the tracks, support the artists, and ditch the monthly sub fee.

1 Like

Same. I tend to just play individual playlists.

P.S. I just hit Heavy Duty on my evaluation. Iā€™ll give Qobuz a solid 8/10. Interface feels a bit early days, but aside from that, itā€™s good.

When you go to play music, so say you just want to play from one artist, does it only play the songs youā€™ve added to your library (like Apple Music) or will it play all the songs from that artist (Spotify, Deezer)?

If itā€™s like Apple Music, that alone would be enough to get me to switch. Spotify feels super clunky because you canā€™t just press Library, Artists, and play just the songs youā€™ve liked. You have to go to Library, Liked Songs, press the three dots in the top right, press Find in Liked Songs, then type in the name of the artist you want to play. Itā€™s a huge PITA.

Hmmm, Iā€™ve been searching for an album, then hit play on the album.

So if I play the first song, itā€™ll play that song and queue the rest of the album. Let me check from the main artist page.

I think thereā€™s a queue option to allow you to only add a single song.

Yes. You can ā€œadd to queueā€

If I click play on one of the ā€œpopular songsā€ from the artist page, it plays the ā€œartist popularā€ playlist, which is ~15 songs.

It doesnā€™t do the spotify thing of displaying all the songs of all albums on one page.

I guess my thing is I want it to be like as close to like a desktop music player as possible. That way I donā€™t have to keep messing with queues. I can just go into my library, select an artist or album to play, and it only plays songs that Iā€™ve liked from that album or artist and it works that way every time.

1 Like

There are many advantages to using a desktop PC as your daily driver.

You donā€™t have to live in hope that corporations will (or fear that they wonā€™t) honour the privacy settings that you have configured in the OS or application. Since you donā€™t have inbuilt microphones or cameras, the evil maggots that want to use them to spy on you simply canā€™t.

There is no need to place strips of sticky-tape across the top of your screen (and possibly elsewhere as well) to obscure or muffle devices that you have no way of knowing whether they are active or not.

If you want to use a microphone or camera, you have to knowingly and willingly plug it in. It doesnā€™t happen by accident. You have control.

I only know of two phones that have physical hardware switches for microphones and cameras, but I donā€™t know of any laptops with such switches.

https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

2 Likes

FWIW, weā€™ve got a few users dailying pinephones on the forum. Iā€™d say itā€™s nearing market adoption readiness. The only downside for me is that the interface doesnā€™t quite have the snappiness that Iā€™ve come to expect. (first world problems, I know)

I hope this sort of stuff pushes people back to media hoarding.

2 Likes

When my OP7 craps out Iā€™m considering a Pine phone

1 Like

My hope is there will be a gen 2 with more horsepower by 2023.

1 Like

Ya my plan basically is to pay my phone off until I can trade it back in and then order a Librem.

I feel like thatā€™s what itā€™s coming to for me ultimately. Thereā€™s just way too much data sharing going on and itā€™s not going to go away.

1 Like

Iā€™m finding ncmpcpp way more usable than spotify lately.