Sports Pub. aka The Anything Sports Thread. Post sports stuff here

It really was a spectacular game. Some super bowls turn out to be mediocre, but this one sure delivered.

And that trick play you mentioned where Foles ended up as the receiver really was a spectacular trick play. It was mentioned that by some point into the second half there were more throws to a Quarterback than punts in the game (with the Patriots attempt at such a play failing). Both teams seemed to take some risks, but I’d say the Eagles took some bigger risks and came out on top of them.

Was also a surprisingly offensive game. Usually, we talk about Defenses winning Super Bowls, or even playoff games in general, but it’s hard to say that here. This is particularly surprising as both teams had high ranking defenses. We did see early on it was looking very defensive at least as far as preventing touchdowns and holding teams to field goals, but later in the game that seemed to fade. There was only 1 QB sack in the whole game! Granted, that one was a critical one in the last few minutes of the game that resulted in a fumble and turnover, so they certainly made the one sack count.

For a bit, it looked like it was going to be another big Patriots comeback Super Bowl, but the Eagles managed a bit of a comeback themselves and powered through. That’s the kind of game I like to see.

Just an amazing game. Very happy the Eagles pulled off the win here, not because I’m an Eagles fan (They’re alright, I don’t dislike them), but because I can’t stand the Pats.

The forced fumble there to give the Eagles the ball back right before the 2 minute warning couldn’t have come at a better time.

The one commentator seemed to be quite biased towards the patriots though… constantly bringing up Brady even in places he had no business to, and downplaying the Eagles imo. Especially on the 2 “controversial” touchdowns (they were touchdowns no matter how you look at it. The first one may have some merit to being controversial, but the second one he was clearly a runner with 2 steps and full control before any contact) where the commentator said he would have overturned them as not being touchdowns. And lets hope they change that ridiculous catch rule for next year.

2 Likes

Yea, with the first controversial touchdown, I could see some argument I guess, if they are required to get two feet in with “full control of the ball”. With the second, I couldn’t figure out what he was railing about, it looked like absolutely a clean, by the books touchdown. He had control of the ball for something like 4-6 steps even and clearly leaped for the goal in a fashion we are used to seeing. That shouldn’t have been controversial at all. And it was interesting hearing the other commenter on that one seemingly trying to pound into his head the whole time what the actual rule is on the matter and what happened, and calling exactly what the call would be before review came back.

2 Likes

Doubt anyone could have summed it up better then you.

Defiantly. When Jeffery lost control of the ball and slapped it into the arms of Harmon and the Patriots went down the field and scored a TD, I thought it was over for the Eagles. But they fought hard and made very great opponents. At the end with the Hail Marry I thought Gronk had a shot, Brady threw a great ball, but it was well defended. I don’t have a gif for it, but during the run for the endzone on that play, Gronk looked like the Hulk pushing someone out of the way.

Cris Collinsworth, I think was salty about the call in Pitt. For a while during the game I thought it was because he was a Steelers fan or something like that. But it appears Steelers fans hate him because they say he is hating on their team. I think all franchises have fans that think their are commentators out their that are biased against them.

Definitely. But I do wonder why the ref took a long time looking at the re-play. And when he went out on the field and didn’t say right away the play stood, I thought for a second that it might get overturned. But Ertz was a runner for like 5 yards.

Overall it was a very great game, especially since the commercials and the half time show were very lame.

Also the Pats will loose two great coaches this off-season, Patrica and McDaniels are going else were and because of that I wonder if this will be the last time Brady is in a Super Bowl. But getting 5 wins out of 8 and having all 5 of those wins be come from behind victories, I think he head a great Super Bowl career and therefor shouldn’t care about not making it anymore. If he is even thinking about that.

1 Like

Something to note: Every NFC East team has a ring now.

Definitely wanted the Pats to win, but I knew by the time the 2nd quarter started that they weren’t playing well enough to win. Brady wasn’t connecting with his receivers well enough and the line wasn’t giving him enough time in the pocket. Additionally, the Defence just couldn’t stop their key plays.

Have to say though, the Eagles definitely deserved that win. They played well and the Pats just didn’t.

The first one was definitely questionable, but not enough to overturn a ruling. I’ll call it a TD.

Second was absolutely a touchdown, no question about it.

The issue was where he was down. He hit the ground pretty close to the goal line and from the first angle they showed, it was hard to tell if he was actually in. Him hitting the ground caused him to lose control of the ball, but he was already past the goal line, so it didn’t matter. I can see the reason to question it, but not after reviewing the different camera angles.

1 Like

Reviews are starting to take a lot of the fun out of sports. This while review thing crept it’s was into baseball a couple years back. The crazy part is, if it wasn’t for these reviews, fans and refs wouldn’t be arguing what a catch is in football. Managers in the dugout wouldn’t be screaming at the umps about a foul tip where the ball was nearly 100% tangent to the edge of the bat. This among other things. I blame football. Bastards.

EDIT: I remember when cursing the ump was a part of the national past time. Now it’s a deferment to some dude in NY behind closed doors. I loved cursing the ump lol.

That’s a fair point. I guess it’s another case of technology ruining the fun.

I used to love watching Terry Francona get ejected from games.

2 Likes

The Eagles Super Bowl parade is today and can be seen on TV as well as online on different websites. Here is just one: https://www.clickondetroit.com/live/live-stream-philadelphia-eagles-super-bowl-championship-parade

Also going on today is the some of the events of the 2018 winter Olympics. Alpine skiing, Bialthalon, Luge and others are going on today. Tomorrow is the opening ceremony.

Here is the complete schedule.

https://www.olympic.org/pyeongchang-2018/results/en/general/competition-schedule.htm

The new F1 intro is… meh. Generic unimpressive unimaginative tasteless “epic” movie trailer soundtrack.
Also, instead of “exploiting” and “objectifying” grid girls (capable for their own decisions and willing to do it adults), now they’re using kids. Because that’s ok, somehow.

1 Like
2 Likes

NFL starting back up, where’s the armchair quarterbacks

1 Like

Give them time. They’ll come crawling out the woodwork.

2 Likes