Spoilers not working as should

(ew)

Just doing [spoiler](ew)[/spoiler]works fine for me

Hello spoiler[/spoiler].
Weird stuff.

Also that post was a reply, but it doesn’t show for some reason. Might that be a related issue? Posting this separated to check.

That is what is supposed to happen. I don’t get it tho. lol.

Ill move your comments that are related to the blur spoiler to a new thread under the bug category.

test

Pro tip use the spoiler button under the gear

For you, it appears, that you have to space what is between the spoiler tags.

so you would do [spoiler] (ew) [/spoiler]

Which is weird, as I do not have to put in spaces.

(ew)

(ew)

Oh, sorry then. Well, thank you for moving the posts.

Test (ing) . That seems to work. For clarification, it works perfectly when doing [spoiler](ew\)[/spoiler]

1 Like

More info, it appears to work fine when the [spoiler](ew)[/spoiler] is the only thing in the line.

(ew)

As soon as I add any non-whitespace character to it, it breaks.

I think I found out what is wrong. It appears, that the spoiler tag does not like having anything next to it, when the text that is inside is in ( )

So [spoiler](ew)[/spoiler]. Would not work.

doing

[spoiler] (ew) [/spoiler]. would make it work tho. If you would like to add the period next to the end of the spoiler.

I see in post 2, you have [spoiler](ew)[/spoiler].

Doing [spoiler](ew)[/spoiler]. Breaks the functionaly of the spoiler.

edit: lol, you said this better and cleaner then I did. I didn’t see your post above as I was writing this one.

In markdown, brackets and then parenthesis are for linking URLs with a custom title.

Google dot com for example.

It works with the backslash because that’s an escape character, and that ignores the other bracket.

Spacing works too, because of how markdown is built

2 Likes

You da best bro. That’s better then my explanation.

I should really learn markdown.

I usually do it like this:

[spoiler]
text
[/spoiler]

never had any problems that way (except when someone disabled the use of spoiler-tags on the forum…

So I guess that’s what you call a feature :wink: Thank you for the explanation. I want to know more tho, this is not something that can be fixed, right? Unless we implement our own markdown parser or md > html translator or whatever.

Also, did you try to compile and install vim again? I’d love to know if the info helped you c:

Lol yeah it’s by design. If you want to do spoilers in a sentence just (space after the bracket).

Or, as you discovered earlier, the \ will do it, too.

Haven’t gotten a chance, yet. But I appreciated your attempt and suggestion! At work now, which is OS X lol.

1 Like

It could be fixed, the regex needs to change for that, or the order in which the parser looks for links and spoilers. It seems that currently it is looking for links first, and spoilers somewhere down the line. It would need to check for spoilers first so that those lines get ignored for link parsing.

IIRC the blur spoiler ist a custom tag implementation, and not discourse native. So this might actually not be possible to fix easily, since I assume that custom tags are always parsed last.
I don’t know much about discourse though so I can’t say.

Maybe @wendell or @kreestuh can say more about that.

The spoiler tag is an open source project so people can submit bug fixes to the guy if they want to.

It’s also a buggy plugin, a good job but far from perfect. doesn’t work in edge either at all.

The alternative is to use the hide details function :

See here

This works in all cases, in all browsers.

1 Like

Works just fine in Edge

Doesn’t work in IE though because it doesn’t support CSS Filters.

TIL that <details> is a native HTML element.

They may have updated it, i never used to work in edge, you’d just get literally nothing displayed not even the text. good that it works now.