Spell Checker from Libre Office Writer...is not very great, what gives?

Hi, not sure if I need to find a Libre office Writer Support forum/website, probably will soon, but I’m all angry right now, because I just noticed my resume spelling mistakes aren’t being fixed or "red underlined “automatically.” Is this commonly known to users of Libre Writer? I switched from MS WORD, and because I read that Libre WRite is included in many Linux distributions, so I figured it’s the MS office WORD of Linux. But my purpose hear is not this, I just want to use Libre Writer or any good free writer for resumes. But coming with Linux, a community I think, it should be great to use and I can proceed with writing docs. Or is my screen shot below, is this an example of how easy it is to HACK open source software and maybe mine is hacked. Even this forum post has a nice spell checker, and I’ll mystype, articulatiing, yes, it finds it. So how can a website have a better spell checker than Libre Writer? This is discouraging, I don’t have anyone to really talk to about this, except here maybe. It’s the same deal with iPhone and Microsoft, or Google Maps and Apple Maps, they only support very few fonts together, Arial, but one doesn’t really do well with the default Calibri, as a job hunter, I discovered some of my resumes had two different fonts…aye, anyways…or finger gestures on touch screens, one finger ZOOM out is entirely “opposite” gesture from Google to Apple, two of the “best and biggest” software companies choose to make a non universal gesture for zoom out. It’s makes it hard to use for the general software user, or rather, the user who likes to use multiple apps. much worse, even someone looking for a better job, using software editors, but still getting tripped up by either hackers or bad software. But I find it strange that Libre Office spell checker, on my PC desktop, is quite poor and not comparable to standard spell checkers, found in website forums. Am I way off, to make an idea about some things are very strange and quite cumbersome in this world. In other sights, we do have video calling and Lasik surgury, which makes these days fantastic! I thought I was starting to get good results from using open source software, finding new paths, but now I realize I’ve been overlooking the red underline on probably the last 6 months worth of resumes I’ve sent out, likely with spelling mistakes. Or does this happen to any one else? Thanks for reading,

The nasty reality is a lot of open source software is just inferior. The problem with Lirbre Office is its quite a large piece of software, and its not like they have a dedicated large team and funding like Office does.

As for some of your issues.

The first line will be because by default it wont highlight corrections for works in capital letters. Word does this as well. Its an option you can change.

Not sure why the second work isnt coming up, it should, it highlights in windows.

Do you have a spell checker installed and set to the correct language? Not accidentally saved the incorrect spelling as correct?

(just fyi, your post is a giant block of text, you might have trouble getting replies as its hard to read)

6 Likes

yup, i skipped right to your response

1 Like

…cool, in my defense (…more like…say, please assume I am as smart as you, as I think I do)…when I write, when I’m somewhat upset, feeling setup, or discouraged…I seem to not like to fix my writing. …have you ever been, or can you see where I’m coming from? It’s great that I got two live responses!

Have you ever been upset and wrote about it?

If I were to edit, and I did reread my post before clicking send and, for readers, fixed a few things, like 2 times (in my defense again)…AND, sometimes, you’re very right, I should edit and put in extra effort to impress and make good writing, in case this actually may be read by Libre Writers/Authors. But I think am favoring emotion above being right…or trying to obtain the “exactly.”

It starts off with the word, angry, so I kept this at top, to let anyone know, this deals with me being angry, which we surmise may reduce the readership.

1. This post is also to DOCUMENT cuz sometimes, if I start editing…and spacing…I will lose my point. …actually this is sometimes why I write, cuz I don’t like being too much of a push over and I sometimes don’t like stuff always staying inside. so it’s kind of a vent, as you probably already know.

OK OK,
My Libre Office, Options, Languages is all Default, English
MY SHIFT F7 is enabled, as you can see Salesforce is red scribbled for spell check
I very well could have done something silly like messed up a language setting…etc…etc
It seems one of my points, perhaps I should write more clearly,… was not fully comprehended…as how can the Team of this website publish a better spell checker than the Team of Libre Writer? I sort of know that…obvious, that Microsoft has a different and differently compensated team than Libre Writer, but always good to recheck facts.
Thanks for pointing out that, my post appears as a giant block of text, I would like to know if there are “additional rendering issues” in additional to spell check issues…but actually, that’s how I meant it. So no virus there.

1. This is also my point, is it a Nasty reality, or is someone like myself, getting hacked. It’s hard to believe Libre Writer spell check is this “bad!”

So, this is my…In the Heat of the moment type of writing…thanks for reading. I just want to find more people who can keep into a pace with me.

But skating reminds me, at an early age, some people will definitely surpass me, some people have no idea, some times I get hurt, sometimes I just have to stick to the tricks I know…sometimes I can make a new style of tricks, sometimes, sometimes skaters won’t follow my lead, or combination of tricks, some skaters will go to a completely different set of curb, or sometimes a skater will purposely followup and fake an accident but with intent to cover it up as an accident…sometimes I need to practice the same thing again and again. sometimes, I feel like I’m just in that phase of life where I’m dealing with, how to apply wisdom? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

cool cool. hibiscus plants.

…Brave…

1 Like

@mintintegral19

Is English your first language? I do not mean to offend but after reading your first post and your reply, your typing,use of punctuation, and sentence structure are all over the place.

In regards to Libre Office, Open Office, and etc: They are not funded like MS Office and do not get as much exposure. Also They have not been around nearly as long as the MS products. If you need a good and free word processor, your best bet would be Google Docs.

The dictionaries supplied with Libre Office are added to by the community. You can always add things to the DICT and submit issues to the team. With a team of less than 100 people, you are just not going to get the quality that you get with some of the other paid for solutions. Again. Money is a motivating factor. When your lively hood is dependent on getting payed for your product… your priorities tend to make usability a high priority.

1 Like

aside from blows, I posted a screen shot and I asked a question in the very first few sentences, of which no one has answered. Is your Libre Writer defunct like mine? Can you reproduce the spelling mistakes? And for the people who cannot read my writing AND want to tell me they have a problem with it or me, …I suggest thtat I buy ice cream and dream on. thanks for reading. I know there are some cool dudes on here!

No one is trying to trade blows. I guess your question got lost in the sea of text. That is why I asked if English is your first language. May have native speakers to help you out.

To answer your question

Yes and no. I have been using it for the last 10 years. Back then there was no useful default behavior. You had to spoon feed it (Adding word to the dictionary, setting up ignore rules, and etc.) I don’t have the problems that you have until I switch to a different language, like British English, Japanese, or Spanish.

As mention before, you are going to have to invest some time in configuring the application as there are a lot of nobs that are just delivered in the off position.

Good Luck out there.

I believe I did answer you in my first reply to you… Have i left something unanswered?

No and No.

I gave you an answer to your first issue, in that its likely due to it not checking words which are capitalised. This is something to check.

For the second word i left a suggestion and asked a question which i cant find an answer in any of your replies.

This isnt helpful. The replies in regards to your writing is because your writing is extremely hard to follow even with formatting, never mind a large single block of text. You’re hostility to people attempting to help you in that regard just makes it all worse :confused:

People have replied to you in an attempt to help, not as @Mastic_Warrior put it to trade blows. There’s no need to go there.

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature! Having perfect spell check just makes us collectively dumber. Can’t remember the spelling? It’s ok! Why bother remembering it for next time! Just let the spell check fix it for you. I’ve noticed my spelling has gotten horrible. Try writing something down with a pen sometime and you’ll be left scratching your head at how many basic mistakes you make.

But seriously, I don’t think depending on these tools overly so is a good thing. That said none of them are perfect. They only cover the most common words and won’t help with wrong word use which I wouldn’t be surprised if it was on the rise because people stop caring once there are no more underlined words…

TL:DR Spell or grammer checkers are no replacement for properly having someone else proof your work if it’s something important like a resume.