[Speculation] The future of ASUS Displays

OK, for those who didn't read the title, this is pure speculation about the future of ASUS displays.

So... we all know that many people say IPS displays don't work that well for gaming because of the slower response time and lower refresh rate. And that TN Panels have washed out colors, but faster response time and higher refresh rates. And the debate goes on and on.

And we know OLED monitors cost a lot. And that 4K monitors also cost a lot. So, how could ASUS innovate with something new and exciting?

Well, ASUS displays are well-known for being great for professionals who needs high-quality. calibrated displays. Like their ProArt 1440p monitors.

But ASUS also caters to gamers, with gaming monitors such as their VN247H-P and VG248QE. So, where could they go now?

Well, here's what I think they could do. How about Gaming-grade TVs? It would work well; they know how to make cheap, great monitors that are good for gaming. Just scale it up for a TV, including lower response time, and you're good to go. Add pre-calibrated to the mix, and maybe make it an IPS Panel, and it'll be awesome. Or even a PLS monitor.

Until 4K panels drop in price, I don't think ASUS has that much wiggle room here.

Also, gamers often complain about low response time in IPS monitors. ASUS is known for making 5ms GTG IPS-panel monitors. But refresh rate is still low.

A GTX 700-series card can, with appropriate drivers, overclock a monitor's refresh rate. And ASUS does produce 1080p displays rated at 144Hz.

So... why not create an IPS Panel monitor at 1080p that could run @72Hz with 5ms GTG response time? That would be epic. When running in TV mode, those 24Hz could be smoothed out using onboard hardware, to make the image transition smoother. The gamer would benefit from the greater softness in movement, so he'd be more competitive.

Content producers could create content on 72Hz monitors so that they wouldn't have to make any big adjustments to see what the content would look like running at 24Hz (which is great for animators and those who work with TV or YouTube).

All that would need to be done would be to make the bezels very thin, and make two types: one that's "entertainment-grade" with included speakers on the bottom bezel, with added buttons for controlling the OSD. And one that's "gamer-grade", without included speakers, and with the thinnest bezel possible so that multi-monitor setups could be easy (so VESA mounts would be needed), and make it pre-calibrated for extra quality. Last, have a "professional-grade" version that's the same as the "gamer-grade", but on a larger screen size (25-inch or larger, maybe a higher resolution), with USB 3.0 hub, adjustable stand, included buttons (but keep the included audio out, because professionals would likely have their own sound, and included audio is generally awful anyways.

Add DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI connectivity only. Maybe drop DVI on the entertainment-grade model, so you can add a second HDMI.

I think this could give ASUS a good competitive edge, and a way into a new market: TVs.

Also, with new consoles coming soon, a "gaming-grade TV" for PS4 gamers or X-Bone gamers would be awesome.

Anyways, enough speculation. Anybody else want to add some speculation or something else to the wish-list? 

TV market is massive, but there are a lot of competitors. They would have to invest a lot into it to break into the marketshare, and even then they might not make enough to continue. I don't see them making anything bigger then todays large monitors.

[ Very long response... brace yourself. ] 

Well... when we think of TVs these days, we often think of LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Sharp and others. ASUS has what it takes in order to take a chunk of the market.

They do have the software prowess. If they can make great software for monitors, motherboards and GPUs, why not TVs?

They also have made several PCBs, what with motherboards and GPUs. And they have made displays, too.

And they've made wireless devices too; routers, etc. And they've also made mobile phones too.

So why couldn't they make a TV with integrated Netflix? Or a TV running Android on an ARM processor, using something like a Snapdragon 800 CPU.

Why couldn't they include voice recognition, straight from Android? All these things they have put them in a very unique position to really take a chunk of the TV market, with a segment dedicated towards gamers. With higher refresh rate, they'd be in a position to take away attention from the people who expect great image quality and high refresh rates, to not miss any of the action. And by artificially extending the amount of frames from 24fps to 72fps (like is done with some TVs), they could offer a much better movie and sports viewing experience. Even casual TV would look better.

And this wouldn't just have to be done using an ARM CPU. It could be done using a Intel "Haswell" i3 CPU. Or an AMD APU. With ASUS's experience with GPU coolers, they could cool whatever CPU/GPU they needed in a silent, efficient way.

So I think ASUS does have what it takes. They could use Linux or Linux for the OS. It's just a matter of whether or not ASUS wants to do this. I surely hope so, because I think both console gamers and sports enthusiasts would want better quality TVs.

And I'm sure enthusiast gamers would want factory-overclocked IPS monitors with lower response time and higher refresh rates.