Special Q+A: Ed from Sapphire on the Pulse RX570 RX580 Graphics Cards | Level One Techs

Yeah that's basically the core point. If you don't know what you're doing, just don't. But if you know what you're doing, you're probably going to do it anyway.

1 Like

Loved the rant Ed went on at about the 43 minute mark, I am firmly in the AMD camp for video cards. I do have a blower 480X that well blows but works pretty well. I'm also matching it with a 144MHZ free sync monitor. The comparable NVIDIA GSync monitor is significantly more expensive on top of the 700 dollar 1080. If I could use my current monitor and avoid tearing with a 1080... I would buy a 1080, instead I'm waiting on Vega. NVIDIA has ensured they will never receive my money unless AMD goes tango uniform.

Amen!

Ed reads my mind :smiley:

About those motherboard supports

Sabertooth 990FX did cause random 290 Tri-X boot blackscreens till I did reupdate exactly same BIOS with USB stickeh instead of using that ASUS software.

Discovered that like when switching pair of them 290's for single Fury because Wendell mentioned USB stick updating something and I thought like why not, I'll try that one. I was a bit concerned if Fury does that and I dont have other cards around to workaround it.

Just remounting single card did nothing. Often switching them around did the trick though, but most of the time I just ended up pressing power till it just works.

Think what I'm trying to say is that for me it was not obvious to use USB stick and I went through easier route with that Windows BIOS updater. So much wtf? could have been avoided if I would have done that from the beginning, 2-3 years before. :smiley:

Even though this is a little late I was wondering why they don't use a triple-fan cooling solution on their Nitro+ cards. I mean sure, they would be longer, but people with a smaller case can always opt for Pulse cards. A friend of mine has the Fury Ed mentioned and he can confirm that it almost never goes above 55°C at about 44% fan speed. This is just awesome (and quit)!
Which is why, I think I would have been a good idea to equip the Pulse cards with two fans and the Nitro+ cards with three.

The Nitro series is more about getting as many features on to the card for value. They are pretty sleek

But wouldn't a cooler card just be such an additional feature?

Would also cost $$$

Any chance @wendell could get one of those sapphire mining cards for review, more than the mining potential I'd like to know if they could be usable for other tasks too. Some have shown interest in crossfire and personally I'd be interested in Blender/Cycles OpenCL rendering. :innocent:

I would have loved to see a triple fan design aswell,
like the VaporX designs they had.
But i think that those designs just cost too much money for a midrange cards.
Maybe we gonne see some of those great triple fan designs on Vega cards who knows.

Well, they don't have to do it on the rx570, but doing something like that on AMD's top card - rx580 - would be interesting, I also doubt that it would increase the price significantly.

An additional fan on the Polaris card would yield no tangible performance benefits for overclocking,

1 Like

Even Ed acknowledge that their Fury cooling unit was the best.