Sound card

hey  all a bit of a novice when it comes to audio was thinking of getting new headset for gaming on my pc was thinking of getting razer tiamat 7.1  or turtle earforce seven  with one of these sound cards which would be the better headphone withe these  sound cards or which sound card should i get ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT - Sound card  or Asus Xonar D2 PCI thanks ps mobo  is asus crosshair iv extreme 

I've heard that using certain sound cards can lag the performance of sound of gameplay...I'm  not entirely sure if that's true, but I would deffinitely look into it...I myself have always used onboard audio because my speakers have a built in sound card to use the full capabilities of 7.1 surround...but for headphones I've never cared for using a sound card because It seems like a waste of money, but I've never really given it a chance...so if you have luck with whatever you choose let me know and I'll look into picking one up!

I personally just use USB Logitech G35's for gaming, and then for music and movies I have an optical link to my Stereo Amp and play from there, far and beyond better quality than onboard no? Please correct me if I'm wrong! :P

Depends on your pair of sound card and audi output. There is no point wasting money on a really good soundcard if you dont have the speakers/headphones to match and conversely, really good speakers/headphones can only be used to their full potential if you have a good sound card to back them up

This really depends on if you are an audiophile or not. If you don't care about absolute sound clarity across the entire spectrum, and run absolutely flat eq speakers, mix audio, etc. then I wouldn't worry about getting a soundcard as onboard audio will usually get you what you need. In my case I run an external audio card which I connect to a set of audio monitors for mixing so it's important for me to have the extra bit of power and clarity.

So if you fit in that category then I'd suggest looking at HT Omega. Their cards run between 179 and 200+ on newegg.

I owned their old Striker 7.1 card and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Hopefully that helps a bit.

If your budget is anything under $400, I would advise getting beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80ohm ( Almost same thing as the mmx300[look that up]) and pair it with either a ht omega or asus xonar stx/st sound card. In my opinion, this is the best of both worlds, combining headphones almost the same as the worlds best gaming headset(In my opinion) and pairing them with an excellent sound card. The benefit of this setup is that it sounds amazing for gaming and music. There is no compromise in either area, which is wonderful. The beyerdynamic headphones are $230 and the sound cards range at $170 up. Look the mmx300s up and compare them to any turtle beach, sennheiser, corsair, tritton, thermaltake, razer, steelseries, cooler master, etc and look at the differences between them. They are not in the same league, and the dt 770 pro 80s are basically mmx300s without a mic.

as i live in ireland new egg was not an option in the end got asus d2x sound card and razer tiamat 7.1 the sound is way better but thanks very much for your help only problem i am having is audio loop and crash in bf3

went with asus xonar d2x sc and razer tiamat 7.1 analog but getting wierd crashes on youtube or gaming 

bsod tcpip sys