Sound Card for Hearing Footsteps?

I play a lot of CS:S and CS:GO, so hearing footsteps loud and clear is vital for me.  Currently I do have a 7.1 headset (Plantronics GameCom 780, 2 speakers but it came with Dolby Headphone paired with a Dolby Pro Logic IIx decoder so I can hear virtual 7.1 surround sound).  The surround sound is great on that headset, but I recently got a pair of headphones that I'd rather use.

Unfortunately my Sound Blaster Audigy SE completely blows, it gives me no surround sound and doesn't have any sort of Dolby Surround software.  

Does anyone know of a sound card that can give me amazing 7.1 surround sound on my headphones?  It needs to either be PCI or USB, I don't have an available PCI-E x1 slot open :/

Asus Xonar DG is PCI and gives you Dolby virtual surround. I don't think you need to spend more than that if your main reason is the virtual sound.

Alright, thanks for getting me started!  After digging some more I think I might go with the Asus Xonar D1.  That way I'll still be able to have the Dolby Headphone + Pro Logic IIx to get 7.1 virtual surround.

Hopefully the footstep positioning in games is as good as my headset

depends on the game. tf2 has shitty footsteps