[Sorted] 780ti HW crash "after" load

Hey.

Trying to sort this GPU for my sister. Shes stuck with it as going to NY and is a student, so an upgrade isnt viable maybe for a month. Shes also a WoW player so may flip XD

Its a 780ti. Works fine under load (furmark, heaven, 3dMark) but once a test is complete and returns to desktop it “ticks” (sometimes) then blank screen and fans spin upto 100%. System is still alive (hdd led and capslock etc)

Ive re padded and pasted it, checked for visual damage, used on other systems, drivers etc.

Setting the PowerLimit to 106% helps but isnt reliable. Ive flashed the bios, modded the bios to ease the workload and flashed that. But still gives up.

Im a little confused as its only when the GPU goes back to desktop rather than under load. Seems odd.

Any ideas?

Windows 10
Zotac GTX 780 Ti 3GB

Did you try underclocking / undervolting the gpu?

Yeah. At first with MSI AfterBurner (along with playing with PowerControl) then with the bios mod I did. Around 40/50% lower, and the same for all 3 power states.

UPDATE:
Mild success. Run 3D mark in a loop, 720p windowed (with GPUz also. No GPU crash while finishing test1 then loading test2 then 1 etc for around 20 mins. Quit the test, then after a little moment the GPU crashed.

Will investigate further, and may see if I can keep the GPU loaded while its idle some how.

Maybe VRAM related?

Seems familiar… the error is something like PNF list corruption.

Working on it…

You do not by chance have an Asrock mb and use the Asrock suite.

This maybe a windows issue and not a gpu issue.

Not sure about that. This is on a seperate “test” rig, using an old AMD 6300 and a Asus Crosshair Formula V and a fresh SSD rather than her drive.
Checking Windows Error Logs, im not getting a BSOD or any errors at the time of the crash, although the system is now locking up.

UPDATE:
Running WoW (so I dont need to keep running senarios myself), sat on some boat. Game runs fine at full load as with tests, 100fps etc.
When the map loads the new location, the 2D picture of a map shows a line on the map as the game loads the new location, once loaded, but before going 3D again the GPU crashes.
I logged HWINFO on my main rig with a 0.5 refresh. This is the GPUs info as it crashes…

So unloaded, idle almost.
Will try and get some graphs going. Everyone loves a graph :smile:

I started having issues when I upgraded to window 1809. From install.

I just ddu my graphic drivers and reinstalling drivers from windows. ( the horror )

Some info and windows version, mb, drivers version would be helpful.

I have looked a my gpu temps and load and found nothing alarming.

That is a positive sign…managed to exit AA without it crashing out.

I will give it some time to see if it reoccurs.

I see. Yeah shes on Windows 7 still and an Intel MB, but this test rig is a fresh Windows 10 install and an AMD MB. So Im sure my problem isnt the OS or MB. Also the system is still awake, just the GPU that stops. But…
Build 1809 (latest), Asus Crosshair Formula Z, NV 419.17 (latest) - and whatever NV driver Win10 installs itself.

UPDATE:

GPU crash when D3D graph drops.

Fingers crossed. Out of interest, are you using a fresh install of 10, or an update?

Fresh installed the latest. I developed this issue on a clean install and the latest amd drivers.

It has been doing the same thing since. I have been putting this off since it crashes out mostly on exit. Everyonce inwhile it would crash out in game.

Windows 1809, latest amd drivers and an asrock X370 mb. I have looked a gpu temps ect and not seen anything unusual. I get pfn list corrupt error message and memory management errors on crash out.

Nope… did not work. Time to dig into the OS.

Lots of issues with power management. Event viewer points at firmware issue.

Kicked the power profile off of balanced to performance in power options.

Lets see if this works. I will be angry with myself if it was that simple.

Did not work.

Sorted (I hope), 12 hr stress/use test to go.

So, fiddled with the bios some what, pushed up the DDR clock for P08 - Profile. Set the GPU clock to one speed for all 3D states. Also brought down the memory clock. May still need a slight tweak if anything crops up.

Top Kepler being my modded, bottom Kepler is the default ROM downloaded from TechPowerUp.

Hope this helps anyone else with an iffy GPU, but be careful.

1 Like

I believe this related to HDD and or RAM, not GPU. But could be wrong, only based on a quick google of that line. Maybe a memory test or a disk check.

I have done that… Reinstalled windows… Fixed my issue. err… at least so far.

I backtracked through the whole troubleshooting list for pfn list corruption. Nothing worked.

Fresh install seem to have but we will see.