Something wrong with television?

I have a 47" VIZIO LED smart TV and when we turned it on to watch Netflix last night, about a few minutes into the movie, a spot on the TV appeared. Looking at it straight on, it almost looks like a target, but looking at it from an angle, it looks almost like a spiderweb of broken pixels. The TV isn't brand new, but it certainly isn't old enough to be EOL (2012). Any ideas on what this could be? What's causing it or what can fix it?

I recommend you GTFO while you can.

3 Likes

It kind of looks like the display has been hit. The discoloration looks like a lot of laptops I've seen that have been dropped or had something shoved against the screen when they close.

Does it have any texture? Does the spot have any physical dip in it around the bad pixels?

Or did you watch the image appear while you were watching Netflix?

3 Likes

Yeah, I thought it was hit at first too. Yeah, it wasn't there when we started the movie but it appeared after a few minutes in. I felt the screen for any dips or anything, and it's smooth. I even used a laser level, and it doesn't dip or have any inconsistencies. I used a laser sensor and the entire screen has a variation of no more that .18mm, and it shows no changes where the mark is. I'm confused.

I really wish I could help but without actually being with the screen all I can do is guess that that section of the display has gone bad. It could have been heat or a defect in the manufacturing that caused it.

I really don't know either way.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Maybe someone else on the forum has more experience with TVs and can point you in the right direction.

1 Like

Alright. Thank you :D I appreciate it.

1 Like

No problem. Keep your post updated in case you find out what caused the issue. Might help someone else out down the line.

1 Like

Will do.

Everything.

Everything is wrong with television these days.

1 Like

Just for shits and goggles I recently bought a Monoprice HDTV antenna for $15.
I overpaid. There is nothing I want to watch and I never use it.

1 Like

Actually it could be a cosmic ray. Very very very rare for one to do this but it is possible to see them and even more rare for them to have any effect on anything they hit but they can induce an emf which could blowout an LED. In fact today I came arcoss a few while doing some Raman spectra. They are called soft errors. Or my favorite a mircometeorite or a very very small rock (anyone? floats on water).

1 Like

I think I actually love you for knowing about this lol.

The screen was hit, go get it changed!

1 Like

See that big spike in the center. Fucking cosmic ray ruining my Raman measurements.

1 Like

Those poor noodles... :3

haha yeah its so unfortunate that one of the most important tools in science was named after a guy called Raman which also happens to be the most important food for college students everywhere.

1 Like

Your screen was definitely hit by something.