Some tips on solving FPS Drops with latest DXVK?

So after another new Installation i’m back on Ubuntu as Fedora just didn’t work for me.
In the Process i discovered, that DXVK 0.70 was released two weeks ago and i gave Overwatch another spin.

To my Surprise it’s reaching playable state! I just played a complete round and it didn’t totally fail. 4 Weeks ago it was unplayable for me.

The only issue left is serious FPS Drops. When ever something demanding for the GPU happens, it feels like it’s slow to respond. It takes a second or so to catch up. After that it’s fine and back to solid 80 FPS. Has anyone any tips on what to try in wine-staging to make this better?

I’ve lowered in Game Settings as far as possible and while that increases overall Framerate it doesn’t seem to affect the amount of or severity of those Drops. Any input is highly appreciated.

Try a Esync Lutris Wine build in place of your current Wine Staging installation in /opt

Download one of the esync tar.gz files from Lutris, (https://lutris.net/files/runners) then rename the folder inside it to “wine-staging” after extracting it. Rename your current installation to “wine-staging-old” and copy the esync build you downloaded to /opt

Then use the recommended Esync file limits as per the instructions here:

Then, make sure your CPU governor is set to performance

1 Like

Thanks, that helped a bit. It’s better but still, when stuff is going on, frames drop and in bigger fights the Game becomes unresponsive. I’ll try fiddling a bit with the various wine graphics Settings and options to see if something helps.

We’re getting there though. Might still be my Graphics Card that’s just not capable enough, or my i5 6500 being to low end to do this.

The i5 may be part of the reason, cause only 4 threads is not really a lot for the multithreaded nature of Vulkan. Plus the game is heavily multithreaded.

However, sometimes this is due to the shader cache still being built. The more matches you play, the more it theoretically can get smoother. SSD for this helps too.

Might be time for a used 6700K and a GTX 1060 6GB if you’re willing to upgrade.

The GPU Upgrade is planned. Once Funds allow, that’ll get done.
I might look on ebay for a used 6700k. They shouldn’t be that expensive anymore.

I’m testing the SSD Part. Because my System SSD is only 120G i originally installed OW to my 4TB data drive. This might also contribute. Once OW i moved i’ll report back.

Sp yeah, moving OW to the SSD made it a bit better. And it gets better over one or two rounds. Not perfect but playable. As I’m not playing any competitive nowadays, i’ll give this a spin this evening when Our Discord Group goes Overwatch.
If what i have now is consistent, it might just be good enough to not go back to windows for Overwatch.

CPU doesn’t seem to bottleneck though. I see around 80% usage across cores, which is close to or lower than on Windows. So, might be Wine isn’t properly set up to use the 4G of Graphics Memory, or 4G just isn’t enough. What ever, might be fixed with a GPU Upgrade.

So we just played a 3 hour Session of OW and everything wnt mostly smooth. First Round was abit iffy, but doable. After that it felt quite good. The occasional slow down here or there, but nothing unplayable. I didn’t mention to my mates that i was on Linux and no one complained about my performance, so there’s that :wink:
The last two Rounds on Horizon showed some major Lag. No clue if it’s map specific or if the Performance drops after some time (Cache full or something like that).

None the less, the experience was good enough to not needing to boot up my Windows Installation for that. With that out of the way (and assuming it stays like that), there’s no reason left to return to Windows, which makes me really happy!

There is one DirectX feature missing from DXVK that will mean everyone can dump Windows once and for all: Stream Output.

Overwatch does use Stream Output, but once DXVK supports it, get ready to require a TON of GPU overhead. When stream output got supported in wined3d, it halved performance.

But where’s the benefit in that than? Will this increase Compatibility? Or is it about the frame drops and consistency?
At the current state i’m already loosing about 30-50% in Performance depending on Game through Wine. Halving that would mean i’d rather have some frame drops than a completely unplayable game… Not sure where the benefit would be then.

It’s about a DirectX feature is literally missing. It breaks all Unity games. It’s currently “in discussion” at the Vulkan consortium so who knows when Stream Output will be a thing in Vulkan…