Some RTX 2080 ti cards gpu's are failing ? what's going on? ! update ! gamersnexus finished testing the 2080ti's

If you run the cards as they come factory out of the box,
then i assume that there wont be much an issue on hand here.
But of course wenn start messing around with overclocking then you could run into problems.

Thats why overclocking shouldnt be used for advertisement for cpu’s and gpu’s alike.
Because its missleading, same counts for overclocked benchmark numbers.

1 Like

There has been a case (single) of a 2080 ti catching on fire even at stock :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah but that could also be just a bad pcb that rolled of the production line.
And of course it all depends on where the exact root cause of the issue lays.
Board partners, pcb manufacturing processes etc.

Normally if you run them within specs they came out from the factory,
they shouldnt really fail.
But of course hardware failure can allways happen.

Thats why overclocking part of reviews are missleading.
People believe if they buy the same card as Gamers Nexus got for review,
that their card can overclock to the same numbers.
But that is never really guaranteed.

1 Like

That’s just a bad multi-layered ceramic capacitor. Same issue as the 1080 FTW. The person just happened to get a bad capacitor. The PCB wasn’t at fault, it was the supplier of the multi-layered ceramic capacitors at fault. (Which was the case with the 1080 FTW)

1 Like
1 Like

Interesting results here… including some which fail so fast they certainly are defective and definitely not related to any sort of overclock:

1 Like

So that begs to question… what components does NVidia supply to AIB’s for their own designs? Just the chip or chip+memory? Chip, memory + components?

2 Likes

I don’t know. My guess would be just the chip. Would make no sense for AIBs to buy more than they have to.

But it is just a guess.

2 Likes

Yup just the chip.

1 Like

Then I would be interested to know who the RAM maker was on Joker’s artifacting card.

1 Like

Nothing but the chip??

1 Like

That’s what she said!

2 Likes

Once again…

1 Like

I’m kinda out of the loop and went offline for awhile, so i hope you don’t mind me asking this question:
Is it safe to get an 2080 or even 2070 ? or they all have this issue ?!

1 Like

There really isn’t a point to buy anything less than a 2080ti if you want RTX and there isn’t a point to buy any RTX card if you don’t.

2 Likes

for a new build, to stay at the cutting edge & somehow future proof i think there is a point

1 Like

I get that but realistically the 2080 and 70 are only about as good at conventional games as the 1080ti. In RTX games anything less than the 2080ti is just not gonna be worth it from what’s be shown and even when it is working it is a lot of very small detail that does not comes through in actual gaming when you don’t have the time to stop and inspect every little thing, and that’s assuming games actually use those features.

Then there is the hardware. It is pretty much all ready tapped out performance wise so what you buy is what you get. If you don’t OC that’s fine, but if you have gotten used to the idea of the base card only being the starting point of performance then the RTX series will be a let down.

So yeah sure go future proof yourself for whatbthats worth but it is a lot of money for… Well nothing at the moment when compared to the currently available options which are only getting cheaper.

1 Like

the reason i asked that question, which no one answered yet or knows for sure
is that i finally upgraded from my haswell era machine
i ordered my new parts (amd cpu no Integrated Graphics) and waiting them to be delivered …
what left is the gpu.
i don’t want to hijack the thread so i think i will open another asking for help choosing one

1 Like

Well it seems to be 2080tis for now. Other than that the 2070s and so on seem to be showing regular failure rates, just people are headline grabbing because of the 2080ti mess and throwing in their other dead cards that are unrealted.

At least that what it looks like right now.

2 Likes

Vram generally:

• Hynix
  • Elphida
  • Samsung.

I believe Samsung is used on the RTX cards.

1 Like