Some games won't install on Playonlinux

I just recently reinstalled Linux, and thought about playing some Windows games through Playonlinux. Most games work and install fine, but others like Fallout 4 and WWE 2k17, show "not available on your current platform." Any help with this issue would be much appreciated.

PS. I'm running Elementary OS

Any game that uses direct x 11 or higher will not play with wine.

Your best option to play those games in linux is to run a windows virtual box and use GPU passthrough.

Never tried these but you can try to run them through steam running with wine...|

Also this is a good resource to find someone that can answer your question

That stinks. I've tried pass-through with no luck, but I might give it another go.

That is not true actually. It is just that dx11 support is not fully reliable (still pretty new). Some work some do not. Generally anything that is part of the playonlinux apps should run. But there are things that can go wrong on a case by case basis.

I just tried installing DOOM and that wouldn't launch because it needed a 64-bit install. So maybe thats it.

Update: I've installed steam on WINE by itself without the use of Playonlinux and I can now install the games, but they pop up with an error. So, I'm beginning to think this might be a Direct X problem.

The latest doom game will run, but you need to set some things up in config file so that it will use the vulkan API rather than direct x.

Yeah like its been said, almost every game that runs DX11 (like 98% of them these days) won't work well, if at all. WINE unfortunately is only really good with DX9 and CSMA (forgot the term) for the most part, or Vulkan games if you manage to get those running.

And yes Vulkan games can have issues modifying graphics settings ingame, so cfg edits are needed.

Development of Wine has been slow, we really should be running DX11 games at %70-80 performance of windows by now...

No DX 11 game actually fully works right now.

I don't even think any DX11 games are even remotely playable.

The only game that is currently close to being playable is skyrim special edition. And you need a seriously beefy machine to run it on super low settings. Even then you still have graphical glitches all over the place.

So a game that was originally direct x 9 was ported to dx11 with very few changes and even that game is still running like crap.

Trust me. It won't be until at least the end of this year before we see a single dx11 game in wine that runs moderately well.

Never fear, both FO4 and SkyrimSE are getting the Vulkan treatment soon, according to AMD/Bethesda press releases a while back (AMD help make Vulkan happen for DOOM, and bethesda was impressed)

1 Like