Some Feedback about level1tech [NO HATE] [CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM]

I happen to stumble upon wendell's review on the korean 4k TV. While the content of the video was great and well scripted, it was lacking in some aspects.

1) Lighting

The amount of flare caused due to the uneven lighting disrupted the actual content of the video. This makes the video bad even though the content was excellent. This video should help you regarding that.

2) B-roll

Although a lot of time was put into making the content great the time spent on b-rolls was very little and whatever effort was put in, the outcome of it was pretty poor. I'd recommend a DIY slider and shoulder mount. These two videos should help you with that.

3) Some post stuff you guys might have missed

Look at that black lines on the side that appeared for a few seconds. I know some weird shit can happen during production but that error could have been fixed in post by adding a funny background, which add some character to your video.

This isn't hate but just some suggestions on how you guys can improve.

8 Likes

Well I thought the production value was excellent for the limited level of experience, and the evolution in production quality in just a few weeks is phenomenal. It think the remaining glitches are not that bad, and do not ruin the experience in any way, they even fit the subject matter. The video mentioned above is not commercial grade yet, a sponsor would not actually pay to have that video produced as a video production commission, but I don't think that's even an option for Korean monitors lol.
I think the L1T videos are in the category "content first", and I really like that. All aspects of the experience a buyer has to expect were highlighted and explained in enough detail for a well informed IT hardware buyer to know everything he/she needs to know, both for professional and for consumer use. Very few channels offer this kind of reviews.

6 Likes

Well, you don't need to have a great production budget to produce a great video. With a few tweaks quality of the production can compliment the level of content, that's all i am saying.

3 Likes

I think he's referring to the thick black vertical line at the right in the first picture.

1 Like

Yes, did that bother you during the video, did it break the viewer experience? For me it didn't.

1 Like

You are missing the point.

6 Likes

Not at all, didn't notice it, and the light flickering he mentions I didn't notice either. I did notice the handheld Wendell style b-roll (with poor illumination I might add), which is fine if content is first, but that was the thing that bothered me, if I have to mention a thing. I'm like you, I'd rather have time spend on the content than on the video production, but if I can have both, I'd obviously like it so :)

3 Likes

yess! A with little over $60 spent on some DIY equipment as mentioned in OP can boost production by a country mile.

1 Like

I guess I'm ok with the production quality all things considered, but I hope it gets better over time.

I have limited experience in professional video production, but if it's that cheap and using it doesn't take away a lot of time from the review/content, As long as it's in good spirit, I'd say it's a good suggestion you have :)

good content > nit picks

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure the L1T crew are open to feedback and constructive criticisms as they continually work on improving their content.

For me, high quality production is more of a nice-to-have rather than a requirement, especially since L1T is so young. With regards to the black bars and such, I remember that one video's aspect ratio was messed up when it was first uploaded and wendell had to fix it iirc. This could have been a symptom of that (just a guess).

1 Like

Which is why imo constructive criticizm can help them improve by leaps and bounds.

2 Likes

@poad42 lurker?

You made this profile just for this post?

3 Likes

I believe they are doing great and to be honest I just went through my Youtube subscriptions and unsubscribed from a lot of channels due to they all review the same thing and do the same benchmarks. I have always enjoyed Wendell and the information he provides and I believe Grizzle and Kreestuh are only going to positively add to that.

1 Like

I care more about the content.

First, I'd like to give credit to L1T, I don't imagine anyone on the team has a big background in film/film production.
Dude, people literally get degrees in that stuff, and go to school for it. I have a friend that went into film for his degree, it takes years of practice and schooling to get true 'professional quality' that I'm not sure much of us care about on youtube. I don't imagine a lot of people came here because of the film/production quality. You want angles? Go check out Linus. I'm sure you will find plenty of glaring, panning, focusing shots that will fit your fancy.

So L1T, you're doing fine, and I'm sure things will improve in time with practice. That being said, this is still very new, and I'm sure these things will be improved eventually. We're looking at a small team right now. LTT and others have production crews and more expensive equipment, not to mention a limitless amount of time.

2 Likes

truth

I come here for wendell's brain and the community... not production quality videos. Now that the audio isn't distracting, I'm a happy camper.

7 Likes

Thanks for your constructive criticism,
we do appreciate input from our audience and community users allot.
If wendell reads this, he will probably give some reaction on it.
We are still working on improving things.

Grtz.

1 Like

That may be, but having good presentation should also be an important aspect of any media project. "Good enough" is not something to settle for immediately. I'm not implying that Wendell and his crew don't put in a lot of work, but there is always room for improvement. And that's something they should strive for. Your level of standards won't improve the quality of the videos.

Well... I guess we have a different opinion on what determines the "quality" of the videos. ;)

Example: Linus doing a drama bit on a last minute computer failure is poor content even with HBO level of production quality.

Example: I would listen to wendell's reflections on tech news over the phone and still consider it quality content.