[SOLVED] What should I buy 2060 or a 1070?

Hi

I am looking at hardware for a PC build.

i7 8700 Processer

Should I buy a 2060 (6GB) or a 1070 (8GB)

The PC is for mostly playing games mostly.

I know that the 2060 is faster in most Benchmarks. But dose the additional 2 GB Vram make a diffrence in gaming?

Thanks for the help

Janick

Maybe hold on a bit for 1160, that will have no ray tracing and therefore is expected to be cheaper?
I won’t say hold on for AMD, cause they have not said anything about their lower end, other than “it’s coming this year” or some such bulshit.

So if you are not in a rush maybe hold on…

Other than that 2060 is definitely better price to performance and overall performance…

2 Likes

What resolution are you planning to game at?

NVidia isn’t going to sell GPUs without Raytracing unless it’s something like a GT 2030/2040 or something like that. They want to sell you raytracing.

So the GTX 1160 is just not going to exist. You would have better luck waiting for Navi, at least it will exist in the future.

2060 have barely functional ray tracing. And that is fairly high end when it comes to performance.
You think they will waste 2050 with RayTracing cores, that push 15fps?
No, they will make cheaper smaller chips without ray tracing and selling them as separate products.

I get what you say, but anything with less capabilities than 2060 is basically useless for real time ray tracing…

Not that ray tracing is something you should base your purchase on. Raw performance is more important than features that aren’t gonna be mainstream any time soon (for reference look at DX12, Vulkan, etc etc)…

Not any meaningful difference for those cards, get the 2060.

1 Like

Price being equal… 2060, more chance of improvement in performance as the drivers and game makers mature. That being said if you can get a steal on a 1070 go for that as ray tracing won’t be a thing for a couple of years.

Also you didn’t mention which 2060’s and which 1070’s… not all 1070’s are created equal. There is a decent amount of variance between AIB’s. The 2060’s don’t seem to have as much as of yet.

1 Like

i would not get a 1070 when you can often get a 1070ti for the same price on sale, and cheaper then some models of 2060 not on sale. what country are you in? also consider vega 56 as it’s in the price range, outperforms the 1070, 8gb of hbm, and can be heavily overclocked.

also the vram depends ont he game and resolution. it used to be only a few outliners used more then 4gb and now adays most new games use close to 8 and some more then 8 @ultra 1080p. the greater the resolution the bigger the textures size, and devs build their games around the hardware available. if ultra 4k takes 20gb of vram they have to lower the texture size because nobody has 20gb of vram. if ultra takes 12gb thats fine because their is titans, 2080ti, and radeon 7 + future gpus that will have more vram, and its ULTRA settings.

The 2gb vram only really makes a difference once the game uses more than 6gb vram.

As @fredrich_nietze said game developers build their games mostly around available hardware. There would not be a reason for game developers to demand more than what most people have unless you DO play at 4k with max texture details. Then probably. But neither of the card is gonna get you far there. So I’d advice you to stick with 1080p or 1440p and just get better framerates there. Hence the choice would have to be the 2060, as it does that better than the 1070 ever did.

If you can find a cheap 1070ti or 1080 then you can go that route (but that’s getting harder every day).

/thread

1 Like

If you are not happy with the performance of your pc now then buy whatever is the best you can afford as you don’t know when you will pass on.

I have GTX personally, awesome performance, advice it

I’d say 4gb is the required minimum rn, 5-6 would be norm, 8 for a little more oomph.

A 1070 is going to be a good card for a while. Hell a 780ti is still great. If you’re looking at longevity X price:performance, wait for the “NEXT” card, or get the last titan.

Lots of good info in the thread. If a cheap 1070ti is to be had. That would push me over.
I only run AMD RX480 but the 8G vram is nice in modded 1080p games I run.
RTX will get all the driver love. I looked locally and my store is not even selling 1070 or 1070ti at all now.

To put everything in context.

I live in Switzerland, so prices are in CHF but they are more or less the same in dollars as far as I can tell.

A MSI 1070 Ti Gaming 8GB is 500 CHF
A MSI 2060 VENTUS 6GB OC is 400 CHF
A Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming 6GB is 450 CHF

Witch one is the best deal?

2060… Not even close price to performance. Even taking RTX OFF, still 2060…

3 Likes

& I get some shitty game to the 2060 :wink:

What?
2060 is faster… Those 2gb vram extra still make the 1070 slower…

What do you mean shit game?

If I get a 2060 there is some gamecode added :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Aaaaahhhh…
I see …
Well, enjoy whatever game it is then :wink:

2 Likes