[SOLVED] Upgraded Fedora 28 to 29

I just upgraded my stable running Fedora 28 to Fedora 29, I know fail. After rebooting i wasnt able to log in to 29 with the new grub entry, created by the upgrade. So I tried one of my older Fedora 28 entries, which worked but strangely to fedora 29. First I wasnt sure if it was really 29 so I checked /etc/…/… not sure right now about the path which clearly stated twenty nine.

A little bit baffled i decided to update grub. Now no entry is working anymore and my root account isnt unlocked so the rescue entry isnt good either, which means I managed to lock myself out … again. Any suggestion?

ok was able to narrow it down to

IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): enp6s0: link becomes ready

but it seems not to be ready at all

If you have access run fpaste --sysinfo

what do you mean by “updat grub”?
whats your system specs?
what custom repos are installed?

How did you do the upgrade?

Fedora’s online documentation includes release upgrade instructions. It occasionally changes with a new release.

There’s also a “Common Bugs” page for each new release. Useful to check if some peculiarity will impact you.

yes i was able to access my system and switch to multi-user.target. Narrowing my problem down a little bit. My graphical target is not starting, neither is the X Server which explains the hanging boot on all grub boot entries.

B4 my update I had the Nvidia drivers installed and nuoveau blacklisted. Meanwhile I upgraded the Nvidia drivers to the newest version 415,…

My system specs are

I believe when I get my X Server running again all other problems should be solved.

I used the graphical interface from my gnome desktop.

I was checking the documentation but wasn’t able to find any similar issue to mine. I guess it has something to do with the IOMMU passthrough and/or my GPU settings that got the upgrade to hickup

I googled the ERROR at

8: /usr/libexec/Xorg (_start+0x2e)

the suggested solution for a 410.xxx Driver said to simply reinstall the X Server, which I did and it miraculously healed everything.

1 Like